Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stary eyes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 09:56 AM
    How do I convience my mom to let me get married?
    Hi I am 16 years old and I want to get married my fience has lived with me and my family for a while now and my dad is just horrible to us.. he treats us bad and we have to do all these things because my mom is afriad that dad is goingto cause promblems because of the fact that my fience is over age! My fience has treated me better than my dad has my whole life he's not even my real dad any way he is my step dad and my mom is abcessed with having total control over me until the day I turn 18. I don't know what to me and my fience love each other very much and everybody makes it so hard on us. All we want is to get out of my moms house and life a happy life finally... how do we get her to approve of this... I'm tired of being emotionally attacked by my dad :mad: I just want to get I love my mom though, she just won't approve and I need to know how to get her to:confused:
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2009, 10:35 AM

Your overage boyfriend lives in your parents house with you, and you are complaining about how strict they are?

Your step dad should cause problems for you and it seems as though he might be the only sane one in the house.

Getting married may seem like a good idea now, but I would suggest waiting. Why does your boyfriend live with your parents? If he can't support himself how is he going to support you and probably children?

Think it through, marriage is a whole lot of love but it's a whole lot of work too. Anyway, if it is meant to be, it'll happen in its own time, but you'll probably regret it if you get married now for "freedom".

Great you'll be free to spend all your money on your own bills instead of making your mom and step-dad do it. Its not that great. Being all grown up is fun for a month, then the bills arrive.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

May 20, 2009, 10:55 AM

I agree with Meredith. First off your 16... I was 16 when I met my husband and he moved in with my parents when I was 17. We lived with them until I turned 23 then we got married in 2004 and moved out. He worked with them, helped out around the house and we did everything to make them happy since they supported us for the duration of our stay; the least we could do is do what is asked of us. We have been married going on 5 years and my husband still works with my father in our business and we have two children. We definitely have our marital problems and bills and so on and so forth... marriage is work and at times A LOT of work. Even though things seem like daisy's right now; it doesn't mean roses later. Keep your options open, date, be with the girls... BE SIXTEEN. You think your ready but your not... if you really do not like these answers then I suggest taking the next step - that you leave the house and try to make a life with him outside of living with the parents because it is your choice... they can't hold you back BUT when things don't work out make sure you have somewhere to go. Forget about marriage since you will not be able to obtain consent until you are of age - so have fun. Getting married seems like the last resort at this point... if you think you are ready and all grown up, go full time school and part time work, he can work full time and you two will have to come together to make some sort of a living arrangement. Eventually you will see we aren't attacking you but looking out for your best interests. I hope you make the right decision not to marry, to live at home, go to school, spend time with friends, have a prom night to remember, graduate, maybe university or college... obtain a career and travel... be free. This doesn't mean you have to break up with him but rather make sure your interests are being met first. If he loves you he will understand. Your boyfriend should get a place to live and support himself so you two can get together there. It would be funner that way too, especially movie nights and stuff like that... you can have privacy there to be together without control.

If you where my daughter I would loose it... she is my baby especially at 16. I wouldn't allow my daughter to sacrifice her potential, growth and future at such a young age. Dating is one thing, even if the guy is older; love is love but when it is so young and fresh sometimes its nice to pace yourself and enjoy the relationship development. Take it slow.
    nitelight198073 Posts: 470, Reputation: 76

May 20, 2009, 11:10 AM

:smacks self in forehead: OMG what are your parents thinking letting a man live with their teenage daughter, and you are complaining they are too strict... I think they are way too lenient
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 20, 2009, 11:27 AM

It is never good to get married to jump out of a bad situation.
    Also if he is living at your parents when you get married how do you think it will change things?
    Does he have money to move you out of there? How old is he? Does he have a decent steady job? Why are your parents okay with him living there?
    martina59 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

May 25, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nitelight198073 View Post
    :smacks self in forehead: OMG what are your parents thinking letting a man live with their teenage daughter, and you are complaining they are too strict... I think they are way too lenient
    I totally agree!! (WTH is this world coming to)??
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2009, 09:40 PM
    I'm not smacking myself in the forehead, I'm banging my head on the desk (again).

... thunk... thunk... thunk...

I imagine the OP has not continued to read this thread, but in case she has, I'm in complete agreement with the other posters.

Sixteen is too young to be married, in fact it's too young to be living with someone. Don't kid yourself that you're ready - you're not.

The likelihood of your relationship succeeding is low, let alone a marriage at this age.

xoxaprilwine talks from experience, listen to her - she is wise and makes some excellent points.

Be sixteen, have fun, enjoy your life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to convience girls father [ 10 Answers ]

Hi This govind from pune , I like one girl from my place and she also like me , our cast also same but she is from deshmuk kul and I am not , the problem is that her father wants to marry her in deshmukh kul only , the issue is so short but al thing base on relegious . So how I can...

View more questions Search