Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Psammead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Breaking my Lease in WI
    I signed a 6 month lease when I was desperate for an apartment. 4 months later, the other tenants children have broken my bike, the downstairs neighbors are potheads, the landlady is an irresponsible alcoholic. She promised things like that the door would be fixed when we moved in, that she would provide screens for the windows, that she would fix the broken light sockets and so on. She did finally fix the lights and the door last week. My boyfriend and I were offered a much better, cheaper, apartment if we can move in right away. We cannot afford to pay the last months rent- in fact, we can barely afford to pay the rent this month, and defintely can't the last month. We are willing to let her keep the $500 security deposit for this months rent, however, she is so irrational and unreliable, we are afraid she will refuse to let us break the lease and move, or take us to court if we run off. Should we talk to her anyhway? Is there anything we can do, or are we stuck in this horrible place until the lease is up? What's the worst she coud do if we just pack up and go?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2006, 07:52 PM
    Here is my understanding of your problem.

You have a lease that expire the end of November.

You still owe Oct. and Nov. rent.

500 security deposit landlady has.

Can you run away?

Is your rent 500/month?

Landlady might be able to sue you in court for 2 months rent, Oct and Nov. But once she deducts your security deposit, she will sue you only for what, $500?

If you honestly can't stand living there, then leave. If you can hold on one more month, that would be better financially for you.

But, if you honestly do not want to be there anymore, then leave.

Just remember she can sue you for the last 2 months rent (minus the security deposit, assuming you are entitled to get it back)

And when you move out, take pictures of how you leave the place. Because the landlady will probably say you made a mess and destroyed the place. So get proof you are leaving the place in good shape!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

Terms of Breaking a Lease [ 6 Answers ]

I need to break my lease in Florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesn't say what happens when...

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maine and have signed a 1 year lease. My husband and I were able to purchase a home, so obviously we will be moving out. I heard somewhere that once you have fulfilled a 1 year commitment, it doesn't matter if your landlord has you re-sign a lease, you are month to month. I haven't been...

Breaking a Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I went and put a $75 deposit down on an apartment and signed a lease. The apartment wasn't supposed to be ready until Sept 26th. I got a call on Aug 30th stating the apartment was ready, but the very next day, situations arose that are going to keep me from renting the apartment. I...

View more questions Search