Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericl123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Hvac No AC
    I have a 2year old goodman straight ac, 3 amp fuse keeps blowing on the control board in my furnace since the first time I tried to put it in ac this season. Have tested all wires for shorts with tester, have traced to the C/U, not the low voltage wiring.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:07 PM

Remove the Y wire at the furnace. Jump y to G. See if AC comes on and fuse doesn't blow.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl123 View Post
    I have a 2year old goodman straight ac, 3 amp fuse keeps blowing on the control board in my furnace since the first time I tryed to put it in ac this season. Have tested all wires for shorts with tester, have traced to the C/U, not the low voltage wiring.
    You say it is not the low voltage wiring. The fuse you are replacing is the low voltage protection, An over load on low voltage is what you need to look for.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 01:52 PM

Probably the contactor is shorted out.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 29, 2009, 03:31 PM

Agree Josh. The contactor on outside unit(condenser) may be shorted. Try this. Unhook the low voltage wires from the contactor coil on the condenser. Now see if fuse blows when you turn it to cool. Let us know what you find, and we will try to help further.
    catfishpkt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Same problem here but following a thunderstorm. Tried jumping the Y to the G and it instantly fried the fuse. Would that indicate the contactor being shorted. Will try unhooking the low voltage wires tomorrow when its light out.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 08:02 PM

why did you jump y to g?
    g to r for fan. Y to r for ac
    w to r heat.
    y to g = nothing.

did you jump this way at the stat? Or the control board??

Jun 12, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Tried Y to G due to the post above, just tried Y to R but blew fuse as well. Fan works with AC and heat off. Turn either on and the 3 amp blows.
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 08:20 PM

Do you have a heatpump or a gas furnace?

Jun 12, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Heat pump
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Have you run out of fuses yet? If not, try this: set the thermostat to cool with the temperature setpoint as high as possible. If the fuse blows, the reversing valve coil may be shorted. If not, lower the setpoint below the current room temperature. If the fuse now blows, the contactor coil may be shorted. As mentioned earlier, disconnecting the low voltage wires from the contactor will prove whether the problem is in the wiring. Be sure to disconnect the line voltage power supply from the outdoor unit before poking around in the control area.

Jun 12, 2009, 09:01 PM
    Setting the temp above room temperature and turning the AC on did not blow the fuse. Lowering the temp till the AC tried to turn on did blow the fuse. Thanks for the tip, gives me something specific to test.

Jun 13, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Pulled the outside low voltage wires to test for the contactor and the fuse didn't blow. Replaced the contactor and the AC now works like new. Total cost to fix $19.97.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Good job, now take that money you saved on a repairman and treat your family to that two-week Caribbean cruise they have been dreaming of... :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odd odor from HVAC [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Our A/C was running and upon returning home, I noticed an odd dry metallic or gas-like smell in the house. When I turned the system off, it dissapaited, but in some of the small rooms we can still smell it - sometimes strongly - even though the system has been off for a week. It...

What is the best HVAC Option? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem conventional gas/electric split system that is 20 years old. The heat exchanger in the furnace is cracked and I have been advised that I should replace this system before winter. The system is 5 ton. I have received six quotes and am really confused as to which way to go on this. The...

HVAC Wiring or What? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GSH130241A Heat Pump, Atrane TWv024140A0 Air Handler, and a White-Rodgers Mfg 1F58-72 thermostat. I've had 2 highly experienced companies out working on our system. The system will heat or cool great if you disconnect the wire going to the reversing valve, depending on if you want...

View more questions Search