Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ochygerl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Puppy uninterested in food
    My pup is 11 weeks old... Ive had him for about a month now... I weened him off the foodsotre puppy food from the breeder and started him on Innova... it's a hollistic on that the local pet store graciously let me sample... He was fine with it for a while and now seems uninterested. Barely ever finishes. He is only getting fed 3/4 cup... 3X daily... He is a rottie... and the food is a large breed food as well... I have been mixing in chk broth. Should I try a new food?
    MsCanFix Posts: 62, Reputation: 3

Apr 20, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Never hurts to try something new, try Nutro Ultra for puppies, great protein source, makes their coat so shiny and soft and most of my rescues take to it instantly and love it. The salmon makes it palatable to the animal and having multiple protein sources in that formula gives them a variety of flavors to keep them interested. I've tried all the different holistic foods and that particular one I have had the best results with.

What formula of Innova are you giving, what is the protein source in it. Some dogs tend to love lamb in the beginning and then start to dislike it and turn from it because it does tend to be a pungent flavor. Artemis is also another holistic brand that I've found my dogs to really like and have received great results from. Good luck with your pup!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2009, 02:19 AM

Are you feeding anything besides dry dog food? Even with the chicken broth it can be pretty boring. If you want to feed your pup hollistic food there are some great canned and fresh varieties out there.

My dogs really dislike dry food so they get the equivalent of half a cup of wet food a day plus some tasty crunchy dog treats for breakfast and before bed :)
    ochygerl Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 03:25 PM

Ive been also mixing some pumpkin in the food as well. I give carrots and apples throughout the day too. And because we are in training I am cutting up small pieces of the natural balance chicken flavored log. He loves that. Im thinkgin of switchin to natural balance dry food as well. Has anyone heard or tried this one? As far as the type for Innova it's the large breed puppy formula. It's a purple bag and I believe the main protein is chicken
    sandykin17 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 12:41 AM

The dog is still young, therefore you should have stuck with the food that your breeder was using. But since you switched it, its okay. However, the dog is still young and should be eating both dry and wet food, however in slow doses with the wet food.

If you had some wet food to the dry food, and then add some water to it, to create a gravy for the puppy it usually works.

Other times, it could be that the dog just doesn't like the food period, so u have to keep trying for soemthing different till u find the right one.

Give the puppy some puppy milk or goats milk for a while also, since it will give a lot of things that they need while growing up, and that may then help trigger the eating habit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy and her new food. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been gradually switching my eight week old puppy from Pedigree to Purina Puppy Chow. She seems to have been pooping less, and having a harder time with it. This may just be an overreaction, but what should I do? Also should I give it a few more days to see if she goes back to normal?

My puppy won't eat dry food. [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 week old German Shepard puppy will not eat her kibble. I've taken her to the vet and she is healthy. I have tried several brands of kibble including what she was fed by the breeder I am really getting worried. I have tried wetting her food, putting a tablespoon of wet and even chicken broth...

Puppy food [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best puppy food for an 8 week old dalmatian?

Puppy food [ 4 Answers ]

Is it true that as my puppy gets older, he should be fed LESS food? This question seems so stupid, as I would assume that the bigger a dog gets the more he needs to eat. But I just read something about the former.

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

View more questions Search