Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngGlas Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 05:04 AM
    Is this type of training OK?
    My puppy Abigail is a 9 week old miniature poodle. I am shopping around for trainers, she will be ready for classes in a few weeks. I came across this one school; they showed me their trained dogs and one owner working with her dog; I was very impressed. The dogs take verbal commands, silent commands (just using the lead), and hand signals. My only concern, besides the price, was that they use choke collars. Oh, yeah I have to leave her their for 9 days, then they train me to work with her. I find it questionable that I have to leave my baby there. Is that normal? Are choke collars humane if used properly? I planned to take Abby to to classes where we go 1 hr a week for 8 weeks. But I was really impressed by the training they provide, what do you guys think?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2009, 08:03 AM

Would I leave my dog anywhere for 9 days? No. You have no idea what "training" methods they use and what emotional shape the dog will be in when you get her back.

I don't like choke collars. My dogs have never worn them but on some dogs they are necessary. It depends on how they are used.

With any trainer you have to check credentials, education, references.

I read your other questions - is this your first puppy?
    AngGlas Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:32 AM

Yes this is my first puppy. I am just checking around and this happened to be in my neighborhood. They have great credentials and I looked them up online and they have good reviews. I am very wary of leaving my pup. Just checking was this normal for some trainers.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Apr 13, 2009, 11:57 AM

I will personally say that I am no fan of choke collars. They can damage a dog's throat if used improperly. I have ever needed one to train a dog. My dogs learn from positive reinforcements and respond to verbal commands and hand signals. You very much do not need such a collar to have results.

I would be very, very reluctant to ever leave my dog with anyone else for any reason for any extended period. I say go with Judy's advice and do some serious credential checks, perhaps they might even be willing to give you the contact information for past pet owners as references.

Also what vaccinations has your puppy received? I would suggest having her fully vaccinated before you bring her around strange dogs or places where strange dogs frequent. It is very easy for a puppy to pick up something like parvo.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 12:39 AM
    Very true silverfoxkit, choke collars can do a lot of damage. Personally I like them but I've been using them for years and know how to use them correctly. You don't need to use a choke collar (or check chain as we call them) to do that type of training. My miniature poodle male is doing agaility and obedience training at the moment, I'm doing it myself from home and he is doing great... it's amazing what the little beggars will do for a pice of raw chicken.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 05:15 AM

I have German Shepherds - 130# and 85#. They don't even wear collars (I'm on a fenced acre) and never have, from the time they were babies. I will mention that I now weight 110# and still have no problems controlling my dogs.

I also don't reward with food. I started doing positive reinforcement years ago. They behave and come when they're called, all of the sit/stay stuff, just because they want to be good dogs.

They do get treats but never as a reward.

I also never used an outside trainer. One experience, terrible, trainer was totally unsuitable and, I believe, unfit (despite some checking of background). I was there and able to remove my dog - I can't imagine if I had NOT been there what would have been going on.

Not all dogs react the same and mine are both rescues, rescued as puppies - but they didn't have the stability to deal with yelling and screaming and being forced down when they didn't know what "sit" meant.

Amen.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 14, 2009, 05:43 AM

Well I'll confess while walking Rex I do use a Choke Chain. He can slip out of everything else, especially collars, and harnesses are made for pulling therefore encourage it.

I find the choke chain has worked wonders.

Now I'm not going to lie Choke chains can be very dangerous and therefore if being used, they must be used correctly, and put on properly, and no dog should ever be left unsupervised with a chocke chain on.

If put on correctly a choke chain should tighten when the dog pulls and loosens when they don't.

The reasons there are so many injuries from chocke chains is because they are not used properly. And therefore I would not recommand it to just anyone, you would have to be educated on the matter first.

Believe it or not I had taken a 3 hour course on choke chains, the use of them, the dangers and how to prevent injuries.

If I were you I would not leave my puppy with a complete stranger for any amount of time. I had a trainer, who I went to my Rex with for one session, good thing I was there to supervise, he was cruel and horrible, he used the choke chain in a way you never should, he actually choked my dog with it.

You don't know these trainers methods, and until you sit in a few of their seesions I would recommand you not to send your puppy. It could scar the puppy. And like Cesar Millan says'' Dogs do not hate, only people hate, but dogs can become fearful.''

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

SAR/EMT Training [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know where I can find free search and rescue training or an EMT-B course? Thanks!

Type I and Type II Errors (Statistics and Probability) [ 1 Answers ]

A researcher studying stress is interested in the blood pressure measurements of chief executive officers (CEOs) of major corporations. He believes that the mean systolic blood pressure, of CEOs of major corporations is less than mm Hg, which is the value reported in a possibly outdated journal...

PLC training [ 2 Answers ]

I’m looking for a free PLC training course online or in a school and I’m willing to also pay for the training. If anyone out there knows of any PLC training courses please tell me about it.

Training to lie down [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get our 3 1/2 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback to stay down. She will sit on command and she will lie down if we are using a treat reward but she will not stay lying down. With a treat in my palm I will slowly drop my hand to the floor and then away from her and give the command down...

View more questions Search