Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    james1382 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Can cats be mentally challenged
    I have 2 1/2 year old orange cat he is fixed he runs around yelping all day and also watches the mercats on TV then he evens imitates them small and thin and acts like no other type of cat I have ever dealt with in past. I want to know if its true if my cat doesn't have menatally challenge. He even fetches toys to retreves them. I just don't understand this one please help answer this one for me.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Apr 9, 2009, 11:51 AM
    We used to have a cat that both talked and fetched years ago, would play ball for like an hour at a time. Mostly said Wheeee! But sometimes said Uh-oh! Siamese cats are supposed to have dog like personalities sometimes, many persian cats have what's called primitive personalities. And Manx are different too. Maybe your little guy had some exotic cat in his background somewhere?
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

Nothing that you have described suggests that your cat has any cognitive dysfunction. On the contrary, you've described a cat who watches TV and enjoys mimicking things he sees there. This is something a great many humans enjoy doing as well. I'm not sure why you'd think fetching is a bad thing, or in any way suggestive of a cognitive problem. It is intelligent social behavior: He enjoys playing with you and has figured out that if he brings the toy back to you you will continue to participate in the game. These are behaviors I would go out of my way to encourage.

Also bear in mind that cats each have their own personality. There is a tendency for some people to suppose that all cats are pretty much the same, that there isn't a lot going on in their heads. Nothing could be further from the truth. Like humans, cats have a rich interior life, they think, they experience complex emotions, they crave social interaction and affection, and they get sad and moody, and even depressed, when they are neglected or otherwise treated badly. (No, I'm not suggesting that you in any way mistreat your cat.) It sounds like you are fortunate to live with a really interesting and spirited cat. As I say, I would urge you to encourage him, to make him feel that his quirks are things that you prize and love about him. Make him feel accepted. With any luck, you'll get to see even more quirks over time. In my opinion, cats without quirks are like humans without quirks: Boring and godawful to be around.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:18 PM

I love my cats quirks they both fetch. When I am watching basketball my little guy tries to attack the players (not a good thing with a 40" LCD). The bigger cat walks around meowing at nothing. Brings toys out cries for you to play with him and when you do he lays down and goes to sleep. They both open the cabinets and take out bowls, pots and pans. Oh and the little guy catches toys in his paws (very funny).

Then around 10:30 11:00 at night (every night) my apt becomes like a NASCAR track for cats. The apt is a U shape and they run from one end to the other for about 20 minutes and if you are in their way MOVE cause they will knock you over.
    xxxfifoxxx Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 12:34 PM

Awww that's quite cute I think it just shows that your cat has a personality I wouldn't worry about it

My cat sits by the side of my computer and chases the mouse around the screen lol

He's doing it now actually it amuses him :)
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Apr 13, 2009, 10:57 AM

Yes a cat that is autistic would be dull and withdrawn and not like to be touched, sort of the odd kind that hides under the furniture or under the bedspread on the bed and doesn't like people.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2009, 11:01 AM

I had a cat who by all rights acted like a dog!
    I just though she was quirky and very smart!
    As long as she is not doing anything harmful to herself,I say you just enjoy her.
    Fuzzball_Kara Posts: 279, Reputation: 74

Apr 19, 2009, 09:53 AM

Wow, It sounds like you have a cat with a neat personilty . My cat drags things around. And then she'll throw them against the wall and sleeps with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mentally Challenged Cat? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello there, I have looked everywhere for an answer. Because I am very worried about my cat. You see when I first got her with my husband she acted very strange. Today it has been a year, my cat is 2 years old and she acts like a new born baby. In every way, she is very needy although we give...

Dealing with mentally challenged ex-husband; joint custody [ 59 Answers ]

I feel like I am always going insane. My ex-husband is 100% cognatively impaired and a pain in my life on a daily basis. We share custody of our seven year old daughter but we are currently have custody reevaluated. Most recently he has been trying to do anything in his power to prove that he...

Grant money for the credit challenged [ 4 Answers ]

I need help finding grant money, mt credit is not that good is there help out there. I trying to buy my first home.

Electronically very challenged [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fairly new TV that cannot be attached to my current cable system(too far away) I have all the necessary parts for the DVD player (cables). The TV also has no anttena (it was in storage) . Can anyone tell me what I need to connect my DVD player to a TV with no cable or antenna? Thanks!

View more questions Search