Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesi78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Husband wants to adopt
    How can I get my children's father to sign his rights away. He never see's them he maybe calls them once or twice a year. My husband wants to adopt them. I already have full custody of them already but I need him to sign, so my husband can adopt them. He told me he would not sign the papers. How can I make him?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jesi78 View Post
    How can I get my children's father to sign his rights away. He never see's them he maybe calls them once or twice a year. My husband wants to adopt them. I already have full custody of them already but I need him to sign, so my husband can adopt them. He told me he would not sign the papers. How can I make him?
    You can't.

IF you can prove he's a DANGER to the children, then the courts may be able to take away his rights.

YOU, however, cannot make him give up his rights.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2009, 11:16 AM

Only a court can terminate parental rights and courts are VERY reluctant to do so. If the father won't voluntarily relinquish his rights, the only way to get a court to grant a TPR would be to prove he's a danger as Synnen said.

You might try pointing out that his responsibility for child support will end with the adoption.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 11:33 AM

Yes sorry there is not much you can do, if your ex is not up to date on paying his child support, go after him, often to stop paying support some will sign over

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Mississippi and I have a 6 year old son. His dad and I slplit when he was 2. he has done nothing for him since we split. He is a dead beat dad. He has not paid a dime on child support and is almost 4 years behind. He is in and out of jail. I have been married to my husband now for almost...

Can my husband adopt [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. I was married at the time she was conceived and born to my ex who I couldn't find to get a divorce.I finally found out where he was working and had papers served there. We got divorced in jan 08. I got marriednin march 08. He has not...

Ex husband was new husband to adopt his children [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently married with a child. However I was married once before and have two children with that marriage. The marriage ended due to her extra martial affairs, the children were very young, four and five. They are now 11 and 12. I pay child support and provide insurance for the children....

Husband wants to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my 4 year old son. His Biologial father does nothing for him and never sees him. He said he would sign over his rights but I am afraid that once he finds out that he is signing over his rights so my husband can adopt him he will back out. The biological father has lived...

Husband to adopt [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I aren't married yet, in August we are getting married, I have a son, he has a son and we are having a baby in June. We are concerned that my son will be confused that everyone has the same last name but him. Granted, his father has only seen him maybe 5 times in two years, I have...

View more questions Search