Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmk727 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
    My puppy won't stop messing in his crate
    My papillon puppy is nearly 5 months old. We've been crate-training over a month now & woodstock still won't hold his potty (& sometimes his poop!). He's never in the crate more than 4 hrs at a time & will go outside before being crated. On several occasions, we've been gone less than 2 hours & he will potty in his crate. I've reduced the space he has in the crate, but he still pees on the bedding. When I've taken the blanket out, he peed & pooped & made a nasty mess for momma to clean up inside the crate & on himself. I'm at my wit's end. I'm sick of washing his laundry & cleaning up pee/poo daily on my lunch breaks. The kicker is he sleeps with us 8-10 hours at a time without any need to relieve himself. & he's very good about heading to the back door when he wants to go outside when not crated. What is it about the crate that makes him not want to hold it? Separation anxiety? If so, how do I fix it?
    Texie Studstill Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2009, 10:24 AM

it is a simple answer. The crate that you are using is to big. To your puppy,the crate is his den and most people try to give the dog the biggest space available.Do not do this because the puppy will start dividing up his free space. I know that you said that you cut his space back already but cut it a little more. Go to wal'mart and get the cups for food and war=ter that screw onto the door and then but ina pillow with a blanket on top.be sure that there is no hard ground,like the bottom of the crate, for the puppy to stand on.if he pee's on the pillow it will sit in there and make him unconferatble. He will learn one way or the other. In extreme cases you can go to a pet store and by doggie diapers. These work great even if you do have to put a muzzle on him.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 04:09 AM
    I don't think the problem is that the crate is too big. I wouldn't leave a dog cooped up in a small crate for 4 hours.
    My opinion is that he is doing it out of spite, a lot of dogs will potty in their crate if they are angry/upset with you for leaving them.
    Do you have newspaper in half the crate to he can go on that instead of his bed?
    Do you leave toys in the crate to keep him amused?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy won't stop messing in her kennel no matter how long she is in there. [ 4 Answers ]

I have and 2 mth old great dane. And I am trying to kennel train with her. Until I got the kennel I had to keep her in the bathroom. In which case worked just fine I expected her little bladder to fill up and she would use the potty in there. When I got the kennel it is rather large one for this...

Old Dog Won't Stop Messing In House [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Boxer that is about 11 years old. She is beginning ot have some obvious health problems, but I still think she's able to function and without pain. We have begun bringing her in the house since its colder weather and her back legs are starting to bother her. She has always been in the...

How can I stop messing up [ 1 Answers ]

God I wish I could stop ing things up with my boyfriend, its like we get over one problem and I create the next. Sometimes I just feel like god (if there is one) is trying to make a poiint with me. As soon as I mess up I can see stright away what I should have done, if it's that I should have put...

View more questions Search