Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jerry Butler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 12:51 AM
    Can a Short Sale seller back out days before Escrow Closes?
    I’m in a Short Sale and I’ve been pre-approved for my loan and after I made my offer, which was accepted by the seller (husband) and I have a contract signed by myself and the seller (husband only), now that Obama has said there is a new stimulous package coming out, the Wife of the seller wants to cancel the sale and is trying to modify the contract already in Escrow and about to close in a couple of days. In addition, neither the agent nor the seller has allowed me access to the inside of the house with my inspectors, structural engineers, etc. and Escrow closes in a couple of days. QUESTION: Can the seller’s wife (who didn’t sign the Sales Contract) cancel the sale? She is listed as a co-owner, but the sales contract bearing the seller’s signature states that he is authorized to sign the contract as the seller.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2009, 06:38 AM

First the "bank" has to accept the short sale, no where have I read where you said that happened,

Have you contacted the lender and expressed your concern that the owner is wanting to back out.

Also if she refuses to sign, the sale can not go though, you can sue them for the losses you have incurred according to the sales offer and acceptance at this point.

In many states, the offer is not legal and binding unless both owners have signed or there was a POA that allowed just one to sign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The house I am purchasing is in short sale, and it was appraised for less than the asking price. My agent told me that because of what the home was appraised at, the bank is not going to fund more money than that, therefore my contract is null and void. Do you think I will have to...

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to do a short sale and have a offer pending bank approval what is the options if it is not approved and is a short sale terrible on a credit report

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

When a short sale is not accepted what is the next best option?

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

How long does the owner get to have the house under short sale? Is there a time frame before the lender will take it back and foreclose on the house?

FHA short sale [ 4 Answers ]

I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03,...

View more questions Search