Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knowidon'tknow Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 19, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Can I Run A Dishwasher W/water Heater Turned Off?
    Hi. I have an electric water heater with a slow leak that I can't replace until later next week. I already turned it off and drained it. I did this before I realized that the dishwasher only takes water from the heater, and now of course I can't run the utterly packed dishwasher (divorced mom, plumbing dope.. . )

Here's the question: Can I just refill the tank with cold water without turning it back on, and run the dishwasher with that? The load has been sitting in there for days now since I drained the heater (and then froze with confusion). Even if the water is cold, at least the dried stuff will get loosened enough for me to then wash it by hand.

Bad idea, or can I do this and then quickly redrain the heater again? Thank you thank you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 05:41 PM
    I am a plumbing dope too, but I doubt that it will wash the dishes as the water will be cold.

A dishwasher with the right temp water is as close to steralization one can get in the home. Washing in cold water will not kill any bacteria.

Aug 19, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Thanks, J 9. I do realize they won't be clean and sterile. But what I need to know is if it's OK plumbing/electricity-wise to just fill the tank while the electricity's off on it to run the dishwasher once through?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Don't know about that, but I do know that they will still be full of bacteria.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by knowidon'tknow
    Hi. I have an electric water heater with a slow leak that I can't replace until later next week. I already turned it off and drained it. I did this before I realized that the dishwasher only takes water from the heater, and now of course I can't run the utterly packed dishwasher (divorced mom, plumbing dope. . . )

Here's the question: Can I just refill the tank with cold water without turning it back on, and run the dishwasher with that? The load has been sitting in there for days now since I drained the heater (and then froze with confusion). Even if the water is cold, at least the dried stuff will get loosened enough for me to then wash it by hand.

Bad idea, or can I do this and then quickly redrain the heater again? Thank you thank you.

Hi Mom,

Unless it's a bad leaK that would flood you out here's how I would handle it.
    First open the hot water side of the kitchen faucet and turn the water back on to the heater. Whwn the heater's full and all the air out of the line the kitchen faucet will start to run. Shut the faucet off and turn on the electrcity back on at the breaker box. Wait for the water to get up to temperature and do the dishwater thingy. After the dishwater cyyles and your dishes are clean. Do the reverse. Shut off the power, turn off the water to the heater, attach a hose to the boiler drain at the base of the heater and run it over to the floor drain. Open the boiler drain and lastly open back up the hot water side of the kitchen faucet so the line won't be air locked. You now have your dishes cleaned and the heater drained and waiting to be replaced.
    Hey! Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom

Aug 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Ok, Tom - I'll do it. If I just do it fast; how much more could it drip? (it's a slow drip-drip into the downstairs' neighbors' bathroom). Oh, man, I probably shouldn't, but here goes. The step-by-step is really helpful. My thought about not waiting for the water to heat up was to do the whole thing faster to minimize further dripping to the neighbors. Would it work just filling it with water and not turning it on to heat it up again? There's no pump, is there?
    Do I Have to turn it back on for it to work? Sorry to sound like such an ignoramus.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 20, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Good morning Mom,

"Would it work just filling it with water and not turning it on to heat it up again? There's no pump, is there?"
    Yes it would work and no there's no pump. I suggested heating the water after reading comments by the other experts. Cold water washing would clear the dishwasher and you could finish the job with water heated on the stove.
    Just leave the power off and follow the directions I gave you.
    Good luck, Tom

Aug 20, 2006, 04:51 AM
    Tom, you're a peach. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Dishwasher fills with water but does not wash [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old ge dishwasher, a pot scrubber. When I turn it on the water goes in it but nothing else happens. The water spraying thingy does not turn, but it continues to go through the entire cycle including the drying cycle, but all the water is still in the bottom of the dryer. What could be...

When the water was turned on again! [ 3 Answers ]

Had to turn the water line off for some repair work and after turning it back on after a half hour or so I flushed one of the toilets and KABOOM. Flushed the other toilet and same thing. I can understand some air in the line being compressed by all that water pressure but how to relieve it so it...

No water unless faucet slowly turned. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. We have a fauced that when turned normally does not have any water flowing out. There is a bang when this is done too. If the faucet is turned slowly, water will come out. Thanks!

View more questions Search