Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myowncircus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
    How can I change jurisdiction in my child support case
    I was divorced in Florida and in the divorce my child support was automatically put through the state. Since the divorce both my ex-husband and I have moved to Colorado. When I moved in 2006 I moved my child support case to child support enforcement in Colorado. They had me provide all documents pertaining to my divorce and child support before they would take on enforcement. I have been trying for the last 6 months to get the state of Colorado to take my ex back to court for contempt since he is now roughly $15,000.00 behind. As of last month the case worker told me that he would get things moving, when I called last week he told me that the case was never even registered with the state of Colorado and to date he hasn't made any effort to get it done. What are my options how do I get a case registered here in Colorado, and why wasn't that done 2 years ago when I provided them with all past documentation?:mad:
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 04:10 PM

The obvious answer is check with a local Colorado family law attorney. But in California registering a child support order is a simple matter of filling out a form and filing it with the court clerk (and attaching a copy of the child support order). That's why I say check with a Colorado lawyer: it shouldn't be hard.

Second, keep in mind that the child support office doesn't have to register the order to enforce it but they may want to just so they have a local case on file with your court in which to file the contempt motion.

Keep bothering them about it and they'll probably get around to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dropping A Back Child Support Case [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship. I filed a child support order when my son was young but neither I nor the father followed through with it. My child's father has never been in his life. My husband has been his father for 4 years now. My son's biological father understands this...

Passaport laws with child support case [ 4 Answers ]

i live in Oklahoma and have 2 daughters from a previous relationship. my oldest daughter does not have her fathers name on her birth certificate but the younger one does. i have recently filed for child support but have yet to receive any. the court system and i don't have any idea where he is,...

Proving my case for child support [ 8 Answers ]

Hello- I'm a single mom with a son. My son's father has 6 kids and is crying broke for the modification I filed for 1/2 child care and 1/2 prescription costs (my son has existing medical conditions). I can't afford a lawyer so I have to prove my case at trial. How the heck do I do that? I know...

Dismissed Child Support Case [ 9 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to a question I had. If a child support case is dismissed with out prejudice, is the child support still owed? I would appreciate any answers or any references any one has to help me find out. Thanks

Child support and paternity in divorce case [ 1 Answers ]

A dear friend of mine who is a refugee married an American citizen from IL when she was 5 months pregnant (still living in Jordan at that time- they were married double-proxy.) The husband's name is on the son's birth record from Jordan, but after the baby was born, he abandonded the marriage. My...

View more questions Search