Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 10:32 PM
    How to remove the white muratic acid color from gray grout
    I laid a satillo tile floor with one inch grout joints. I had sealed the tiles before I grouted with natural gray grout, however, I was unable to remove all the grout from the tiles. I used muratic acid to clean the remaining grout off the tiles. In the process, the muratic acid turned the gray grout partially white. I need to remove this prior to re-sealing the floor. Any suggestions? Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 10:58 PM

Yes what happened here is you "burned" the grout with the acid. Remove burned grout and re grout.
    Can you explain to me why you sealed before you grouted and what was that sealer out on.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    poppaJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Visit this website. I found this helpful.

The GroutSmith
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Get some wet/dry sand paper and see if you can just sand away the very top layer of the grout. If that does not work, and if the grout returns to it's proper color and is uniform if wet, consider trying an enhancing sealer over the grout. The next option short of regrouting is going over the existing grout with a grout colorant which will both sel and recolor the existing grout.

Can you explain to me why you sealed before you grouted
    Saltillo is extremely absorptive.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2009, 06:18 PM

I totally Disagree with sanding ANY grout/ cement base material. The grout is 'Burnt" and weakened completely in that spot. Sanding grout is as goofy as sanding your concrete walk. Sanding will also give the grout a different look in the tooling effect and not match texture to the grout beside it. Also NEVER Sand Tile! Same thing the Minuit texture being smooth will change the texture.

Grout is just like the cementious base mortar/portland material to lay brick and gets on brick. what we do to clean off mortar is we never SAND brick. A couple of ways to wash down any Mortar base material goes like this. Mix 1 part acid 2 past water. for a total wash down brick and mortar. For more stubborn its 1/2 water and 1/2 water. The best way to clean off thick areas is to take a sponge and some acid gloves and use the acid directly on the tough spots. get it wet just enough to fizzle the hard spots. Use a wooden tool to scrap and fizzle. Not metal the acid will eat the metal and discolor the tile and acid. If the acid touches the actual grout line it will discolor "Burnt" BE real in control with the tip edge of the sponge. Use a good hard sponge.
    Again The grout that tis burned is already weakened on the top and that's need scraped of our re grouted. Its now to contaminated with the acid and it will not be neutralized enough for a sealer to work properly.
    Heads up on softer tile compared to harder tile Most of that is the fire time in the kiln and the type of and amount of glazing. You ever wonder why cheaper tile is less FIRE time is the cost difference basically. So the softer the tile tile the less in density it is and that also make MUCH softer and more absorbent.
    The skinny on Mertic Acid. It is kept out of the same building and area of the new masonry trowel at the real Masonry supply house. It rust the trowels even in sealed bottles. This is how caustic it is. There's another product to kleen tile/brick. Shuree Kleen which is less caustic and it doesn't attack brick that have a lot of iron in it. It's a high based detergent and works well also if not better and neutralizes better.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Been taken mortar and grout off brick for 30 years its still the same base material. You won't every see a mason using SANDPAPER to get/grout/mortar off brick..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gray Hair Color [ 2 Answers ]

I used to color my gray roots every six weeks, but now I am coloring every 3 to 4 weeks. Is there a product that holds color longer on gray hair?

Gray, white and pink unknown pill [ 1 Answers ]

I've found a pill that is gray, white and a little pink on one end. There are no markings at all. Can you tell me what this pill is?

White and gray hair [ 1 Answers ]

I Have Quit Coloring My Hair, It Is Now White In Front, Silver Gray And Brown Else Where. Is There A Way To Soften The Color Difference? I Liked The White Until I Saw How Ugly The Gray And Brown Was In A Photo. Really Looked My Age! Judy

Removing Color to Go Gray [ 1 Answers ]

I appreciate that this forum is available. I have looked in many places but can't seem to get where I need to be. Here is my dilemma. My natural hair color is dark brown and white and gray... I really don't know too much for sure because I have been using permanent hair color for 20 or so years,...

View more questions Search