Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeyc051 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 10:17 AM
    Adding someone to my property deed.
    Hello,
    I own a home in NJ and currently have my cousin living there with her husband and children. They would like to buy the home at some point and I want to sell it to them.
    Can I add them to the title and will it help them obtain a mortgage easier if they have interest in the property? Someone mentioned they could "assume" the mortgage easier this way.
    Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2009, 10:20 AM

No, Adding their name to the title consititutes a sale. Assume the mortgage means that you they take over the mortgage with the bank's approval. At the time, a transfer of ownership takes place.

What you might look into is a contract for sale.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 11:41 AM

Do not just add their name, you are giving them ownership when you add their name.

If they can not get a mortgage, sell it on a contract of deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding someone to deed [ 1 Answers ]

How is one added to the deed of a house

Adding name to deed [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Detroit, Michigan. My parents were married for 35 years, their house is completely paid for. When they got divorced they didn't sell the house and the divorce papers say that they decided not to sell to split profit. I now live in the house, my dad remarried and lives in Ohio. My mom...

Adding name to deed [ 2 Answers ]

How do we add a name to a mortgage deed

Adding a name to the deed [ 2 Answers ]

How do I add my fiance's name to the deed of my home? The mortgage is in my name, but I would like her to be on the deed. We live in North Carolina.

View more questions Search