Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greeg32 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 09:41 PM
    2 Problems 1991 Honda CRX
    1. Runs hot (almost overheats) in hot weather--only when the air conditioning is on.

2. Brake pedal very spongy/goes all the way to the floor, only in hot weather and car is warmed up (and even then not all the time). Otherwise the brakes work fine.

Any ideas?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Brake failure is the No. 1 fear of drivers. You need to completely change your brake fluid immediately. You obviously have not been flushing your brake system every 2 years, as recommended by Honda, and you have a lot of moisture and air throughout your fluid. Braking converts kinetic energy into heat. Heat from the disks is transmitted to the calipers. If the brake fluid contains moisture, it will be converted to a gas, which is compressible, and allow your brake pedal to go to the floor. This is what vapor lock is all about. Part of the problem could also be that you need to replace your master cylinder. The soft parts have worn, due to not replacing the fluid regularly. Try just changing the brake fluid first.

I recommend Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid for your Honda. It has a much higher wet boiling point than most other brake fluids and it's not very expensive ($4.95/qt.)

It's difficult to give specific advice for your overheating problem. Make sure the cooling system is properly maintained with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water. Tap water can cause minerals to plate out and interfere with heat transfer. Remove the radiator cap and examine the inside of your radiator. There should be no buildup in the cooling tubes (veins). It there is, then there's probably not too much you can do about it, unless you replace your radiator. The cooling system should be properly drained every 36 months, according to Honda.
    hondacrx1991si Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 06:33 AM
    Your car overheating is not good. First look at the fluid in the radiator, if the fluids are low full them. Then I would change the thermostat (I think they are like $12) and then start your car and see when the car gets to normal oportating temp if the fan come on to cool the radiator. If the fan doesn't come on then you need to start looking at the thermosensor. The thermosensor is what tells the fan to come on, the engine is getting to hot. I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda lx coupe starting problems [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX and I have had starting problems since I've had it. The engine will turn over but not start and when it finally cranks up it dies like it is running out of gas. If I let it sit for a few minutes it starts up and runs great. I have another problem of my "S" light...

1991 Honda Civic [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic,4 Cylinder, Standard 5 Speed Transmission, 4-Door, not an SI, with 95,000 miles on it. I just recently purchased it. It will crank but will not start. I have a friend who is a mechanic, and he has been trying to get it running for me (for free) but I am getting...

Problems with my 1991 honda civic dx [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my 1991 honda civic dx it overheats when I am sitting in traffic but not driving. I changed the fan sensor already and have noticed that the fan doesn't come on, What could be the problem is it possible that both fans went out at same time? Also getting error code 16 from ECU...

View more questions Search