Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stb1134 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Wiring Ceiling Fan with Two Ground Wires
    Trying to install a ceiling fan...

From ceiling: white, black, green and copper wire

From fan: white, black, blue and green

Connected white.white, black & blue to black...

QUESTION: Do I connect green from fan to green in junction box, or to green and copper in junction box? If connection should be green/green, do I ground the copper wire straight to the junction box?

Thx!!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Your ceiling has a green wire AND a copper wire? Do they both come from the same location, or from two separate cables/pipes in the ceiling? Do you have a volt meter, so you can confirm they are both ground? Are there any other wires in the ceiling box? How was the fan/light that was there before connected, and what were the green and bare connected to?

Hopefully TK will chime in with a more professional opinion. It's possible both the green and bare wires are ground, and it's also possible someone previously did some suspicious wiring using either the green or bare as something other than ground.

The fan will work as is but, legally speaking, it's not safe until it's grounded.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 02:46 AM
    All green and bare wires should be ground, and should all connect together.

Jul 24, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Ok, well, I did connect the copper and green from the ceiling to the green on the fan. But there seems to be a problem with the fan (and this is the second one I've installed that has done the same thing). It initially works as expected, but then it's as if it only has one speed... low. Almost like the high/med speed do not exist.

I do not recall how the fan I initially removed was connected. This is a relatively new house (6 years), so I was thinking there shouldn't be much that has been 'rigged'.

Further thoughts?

Thx for your replies!
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 08:55 AM
    When you say initially.. . You mean it performs as it should for a period, and then suddenly stops working, or it works on the initial speed, or.. .

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

Jul 24, 2006, 10:23 AM
    It initially works as it should. This is an outdoor fan, installed under my back porch. I changed out the fan that was there, and installed a new one back in November. It worked perfectly for a few months, but I noticed in March or April that it was not working on high speed. I changed it out again last week with another new fan. It worked perfectly for a few days, then again, the high speed no longer works. Additionally, medium and low speeds seem to be the same speed.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2006, 10:33 AM
    So this one you just wired, you just asked how to wire it yesterday. It worked as of yesterday and today it has stopped working?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan wires? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with wires blue, black and white, but I have no idea where to connect them with the ceiling supply box. Or in other words do I connect the black into red and blue into blue and I have no idea where white goes plzzz help. Thanks

Ceiling fan wires [ 3 Answers ]

Help! I installed a fan a few yrs ago. It wabbled so we tried to fix that and ended up messing up the light. Today we decided to fix the light. After taking the light kit off it was noticed that only white was coming from the fan to the light kit and black/blue was gone (somewhere in the...

Red wires and ceiling fans [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to replace an existing celing fan. The outlet box has 3 wires, red black and white. It's not clear which is the ground wire. Also, the fan directions say that there is a ground wire coming from the motor, but there is not. There is, however, a grounding wire on the mounting...

3 wires on ceiling fan [ 5 Answers ]

I picked up a Hampton Bay ceiling fan second hand (minus installation instructions). I went to install it and found that it has three wires: one white, one black, and one blue. There was no ground wire. Is it safe to assume that the blue wire is the ground wire or is it something else? Any thoughts...

Ceiling Fan Wiring - Too Many Wires? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. I am putting up a ceiling fan on my outside patio. It can be controlled by two different switches from my house. One in the bedroom and one in the dining room. That's why I think I have extra wires. Here is what I have: From ceiling: 2 black 2 white 1 green 1...

View more questions Search