Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christo15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Want paternity test done, mother denies me?
    I had sex with a married women and she was found to be pregnant just weeks after our encounter. Her and her husband state that the doctors estimate the date of conception to be 6 - 10 days after we had sex. What rights do I have to demand a paternity test?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by christo15 View Post
    I had sex with a married women and she was found to be pregnant just weeks after our encounter. Her and her husband state that the doctors estimate the date of conception to be 6 - 10 days after we had sex. What rights do I have to demand a paternity test?

When the child is born you go to Court and file for custody/visitation and the Court will order DNA to determine paternity.

I have been advised that in California you can file in anticipation of the birth. You cannot in other States so you would have to check with the Court.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 07:20 AM

Help me understand your thought process here...

You slept with a married woman. Presumably she plans on staying married. Gestational math says you *probably* are not the father and it is reasonable to believe that her husband is.

You want to force a paternity test why?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 07:36 AM

I assume you want a child and are willing to create a bad situation to fulfill your desire.

So yes, you can file for for custody/visitation once the child is born. The courts will then order a paternity test.

But I urge you to consider what you are doing to this family. First you throw a monkey wrench into by having an affair with a married woman. Whether she was willing or not doesn't matter if you knew she was married.

Second, you want to have the child raised in a very confusing situation where he has two dads, one living with him and another outside his immediate family. Do you really want to do that?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Second, you want to have the child raised in a very confusing situation where he has two dads, one living with him and another outside his immediate family. Do you really want to do that?
    To expand on this... even the least quizzical child will be able to compare his date of birth to his married parent's anniversary and do the math. Put two and two together and the kid knows his mom cheated on his dad.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    To expand on this... even the least quizzical child will be able to compare his date of birth to his married parent's anniversary and do the math. Put two and two together and the kid knows his mom cheated on his dad.

The OP said he had sex with a married woman. It would be presumed by everyone that the husband is the father. Some states it is law that the man the woman is married to at the time of birth is the father even if it is obvious the baby isn't the husband's.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    The OP said he had sex with a married woman. It would be presumed by everyone that the husband is the father. Some states it is law that the man the woman is married to at the time of birth is the father even if it is obvious the baby isn't the husband's.

I'm not aware of any State where this presumption cannot be changed by a Court proceeding and Court-ordered DNA - better now than later.

That is the strictly legal advice but if I am incorrect hopefully someone will come along and correct me -
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I'm not aware of any State where this presumption cannot be changed by a Court proceeding and Court-ordered DNA - better now than later.

That is the strictly legal advice but if I am incorrect hopefully someone will come along and correct me -
    I'm guessing that the states are getting more into DNA acceptance for paternity. I'm relying on a program I saw where a father was being required to pay child support for a child that was obviously not his. Child was mixed race, he was white and mother white. The court held that since he was the husband at the time of birth he was the father and had the obligation. The ethnicity of the child gave him reason to believe his wife was unfaithful and started divorce proceedings. I wish I could remember the name so I could follow up on this case.

Since paternity testing is much more reliable with DNA I would hope the state would see the necessity to test if there is a dispute.
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 10:08 AM
    I'm guessing that the states are getting more into DNA acceptance for paternity. I'm relying on a program I saw where a father was being required to pay child support for a child that was obviously not his. Child was mixed race, he was white and mother white. The court held that since he was the husband at the time of birth he was the father and had the obligation. The ethnicity of the child gave him reason to believe his wife was unfaithful and started divorce proceedings. I wish I could remember the name so I could follow up on this case.

Since paternity testing is much more reliable with DNA I would hope the state would see the necessity to test if there is a dispute.

This case was "probably" (and we all know that's not a legal word) decided that way because the biological father was not available for testing or was not known and, therefore, not available for testing.

In this case where someone has come forward (for whatever reason, including getting back at the married woman for reuniting with her husband) I think the husband could be determined not to legally be the father - depending on the results of the DNA.

When you are married you pretty much are assumed to be the father unless the third party wanders into the picture - and I don't know how many cheating married women ever admit the possibility there is "another" father.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
    I'm relying on a program I saw where a father was being required to pay child support for a child that was obviously not his. Child was mixed race, he was white and mother white. The court held that since he was the husband at the time of birth he was the father and had the obligation.
    Judy is correct here. In most states the husband at the time of birth is considered the legal father, even if there are obvious clues that he isn't. But this ruling could be overturned, but only if there is a challenge by the bio father to assume legal parentage.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 04:13 PM

Ok OP.. yes that's you. What State are you in so we can better answer your question. Some states have it and we just went through this on the board that so long as the parents ( husband and wife ) don't question paternity then it can not be challenged by an outsider. So we really need to know what state your in.

OP = Original Poster

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternity Test [ 6 Answers ]

My husband is trying to tell that the answer to his paternity come back as inconclusive because both of them are African-American. I know this is crap. Just want to make sure.

Paternity test [ 3 Answers ]

I am 30 years old and want to know who my father is the man my mother is saying is now 77 years old he was married at the time he was with my mother has 8 other children can I force him to take a paternity test because if its not him I want to keep looking my mother sayes there are no possible...

Paternity Test [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Im from Pennsylvania, My son passed away in Feb of this year, from a methadone overdose. The coroner told us it was the first time that my son had ever taken it ,otherwise the dose he took would have never killed him. Also the coroner stated that my son was drug free for at least 6-8 months,...

Ex wants paternity test [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancee's ex boyfriend claims that he is the father of our unborn child. Now according to the conception date there is no way possible for him to be the father,but regardless in an attempt to get back at her he is demanding a paternity test when the child is born. Just curious to the rights that...

Paternity Test. [ 7 Answers ]

What happends if after 6 1/2 years my child is not mine?:confused:

View more questions Search