Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    childrenfirst Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
    No specific custody papaers filed
    If my husband and I recently separated, no papers, can I leave the state of Nevada with my kids?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 09:23 AM

Are you "legally seperated" papers filed in court?

Or are you just moved out ?

But unless there is some court order, you can leave the state.

Dec 25, 2008, 03:12 PM
    No, he is honestly having some sort of breakdown. In a matter of 3 months he left the church, left the family home, took off to New York, so he can be "Just selfish for a minute", moved the stripper out to Nevada ad in with him in a rental house while he lets our home go to foreclosure. Our son who is 6, was forced behind my back to spend time with Daddy's new friend and came back distraught! Since then I told my husband he cannot take the kids around her, they were upset! He does not care and says they have to get used to it sometime. I was just thinking about going back to the state where the kids were born, Maryland. But I think he might be getting ready to file some kind of papers because he is mad about not being able to take the kids overnight. The counselor told me I am doing the right thing, but legally I am fighting an uphill battle. Not sure what to do, just trying to protect the kids, and up until he did move the stripper down here, I was allowing him the children 3 nights a week, so it is not out of spite.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 05:15 PM

Until there is a court order, you can do anything you want, you will have to meet the new states residency requirements before you can file for custody in that state, so he could file paper work in your old state causing you to have to go to court in your old state.

Dec 26, 2008, 02:44 PM

Thank you for your help.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Dec 26, 2008, 05:44 PM

I think you should to go to court and file papers as soon as possible. File them in your new home state so the travel won't be so hard for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement filed after bankruptcy filed [ 3 Answers ]

I was summoned to appear in court on 4/15/05 for a delinqeunt debt to a credit card company. On 4/28/05, I filed bankruptcy but on my credit report the company filed a judgement on my report on 5/5/2005. Can they put a judgement on my credit after I have filed bankruptcy?

Filed filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR EZ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had filed 1040 EZ last year for 2006 when I was still F1 visa and in school. H&R block told me I owed Federal 900odd $$$. I didn't understand the difference and tried Turbotax (1040EZ) and got couple of hundred back. Now this year when I'm filing, I realize my mistake. Didn't pay any Social...

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

Filed a custody pettition, daughters father in arrears with other children. [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter is 3 yrs old, he bio father has not been in the picture consistently, he used to come by when he needed to borrow money but never spent time with her and once he got his business established he came by ever 2 or 3 months for anywhere b/t 25-55 minutes at at time... she does not know who...

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

View more questions Search