Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joyclem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Removal of rights
    I have hired an attorney to remove the rights of my ex husband and have my husband adopt my son. My ex has not seen my son in over a year and has never paid child support. Now that I have started the process my attorney states that if my ex fights that the courts will not remove his rights. I need to know what I can do to fight and get this to go through.

My ex has an prior assault, a warrant out for his arrest in my state, he has abandoned three other children and not paid child support on them either. He is known for drug use and alcoholism. I have voicemails where he shows just how vial he is to me as well as pictures of his last residence with food and beer bottles all over the place. I also have statements from people at a party where he was doing heroin and police reports of a party where he had his 13 year old daughter when he got drunk and got in a fight and ended up in the hospital and left her at the party with no attendant. Plus the night I went into labor with my son he had left his 13 year old daughter at home to go out drinking and came home with two men that had to carry him into the house. His daughter was scared and called her mom to come get her. He got mad and mistakenly called me to tell me how he was going to kill me for taking his daughter away.

How is it possible I can have so much on him and him still keep his rights?
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

Nov 29, 2008, 05:56 AM

Try this site Child Welfare Information Gateway.
    Your attorney is right. It is very difficult and very expensive. Be sure that you know what your getting into. You'll be spending time and money that could be better served on your child and new life.
    Does he know where you live? If he hasn't seen your son in over a year, this action may just anger your ex and get him to exercise his rights more now.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2008, 07:22 AM

If you read some of the threads here, you will see your attorney is correct. Getting an involuntary TPR is difficult.

However, I think you may prevail. The leverage I would use to get him to sign is that, when your husband adopts he won't be responsible for support any longer. This may not matter if he's been successfully dodging support.

If you can show the violence and criminal activity, I think a court will grant it but mostly because you husband will be adopting.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthmarx View Post
    try this site Child Welfare Information Gateway.
    Your attorney is right. It is very difficult and very expensive. Be sure that you know what your getting into. You'll be spending time and money that could be better served on your child and new life.
    Does he know where you live? If he hasn't seen your son in over a year, this action may just anger your ex and get him to exercise his rights more now.

good luck.

I scanned the site and see nothing that addresses this question - would you post the part you think is pertinent.

Otherwise - you are paying an Attorney who knows all the details of your situation as well as the law in your State, none of which information the people attempting to answer you here have on hand. I would be pretty sure he/she is correct.
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

Nov 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Grounds for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights
    It's called Grounds for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights: Summary of State Laws
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthmarx View Post
    Grounds for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights
    It's called Grounds for Involuntary Termination of Parental Rights: Summary of State Laws

I find it very non-specific but it may be of help to the OP if she wishes to sort through it. Otherwise, I think Scott summed it up very well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenet rights vs housemates rights for removal of housemate [ 3 Answers ]

Good day everyone. My question is this: Can I have my housemate evicted from my apartment if she has not paid her part of the rent for several months? She is on the lease as a occupant only. I know I can have her removed from the lease by submitting it in writing to the landlord. I have receipts as...

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Renter's Snow Removal/Vehical Rights in Illinois [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, everyone; Here's my situation. I'm looking for some advice, please. I live in Lake County Illinois, where I rent an apartment in a building with a parking lot. We currently have about 14 inches of snow on the ground that caused my wife and I to miss two days of work. We own two vehicles,...

Open adoption and removal of parental rights of the father [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is pregnant and the baby will be put up for open adoption. This is be best for the child. My daughter is only 20 and still in college. She is not emotionally, physically or financially able to raise the baby. The father is a manipulating liar, thief and has 3-4 warrants out for his...

Parentel Rights, voluntary removal. [ 10 Answers ]

Ok. First Id like to say hello. So "Hello" :) Second, here's the situation. Me and my ex were never married (although we got engaded, but it didn't work out). She has file for child support, and its my understanding that under North Carolina state law that 100% equal rights are given to the...

View more questions Search