Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tafnjl041967 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
    How do you know if you are adopoted or not?
    I have been told so many things that I really don't know the truth to anything. I was told I was adopted, parents and siblings are dead, they died in a plane crash, etc. at the age of 18 or 19 I received a different birth certifiacte in the mail with a letter from a lady claiming to be mybirth parent. For once in my life I would like to know the truth but don't know who to believe or trust. How do you know if you were or are these peoples siblings without doing a dna test and not having any type of contact what so ever?? And especially if you don't remember these people. The parents I lived with for 14 or 15 years rights were terminated and have not had and answer but I don't know.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 12, 2008, 09:34 AM

Did you apply for the birth certificate, or was it just mailed to you by someone else out of the blue? Do you know why your custodial parents' rights were terminated? You would start by looking for a record of birth or baptism or a newspaper record in the town or hospital you believe you were born in, or your parents having obtained a Social Security number for you to claim you as a dependent.

Nov 12, 2008, 12:54 PM

The certificates were both sent to me, and social security card was sent to me I am still waiting on responses from the town I was supposed to be born in. unfortunately I have to go to the late 60's. I did not apply for my birth certificates at all but after getting a second one in the mail opened a porthole of questions. The parents I grew up with had their rights terminated and the other info that was sent was also stating that parental rights were terminated. I have asked these people for dna and they all seem to want to walk away and not do it.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Nov 13, 2008, 11:48 AM

If they were just mailed to you out of the blue, I would be very suspicious. You are almost 40 so why suddenly now? It could have something to do with an inheritance or child support claim? Or even a scam, someone wanting to steal your identity applied for the document in your name intending to steal your mail when it arrived? Do you live in an apartment building or have roomates, where other people could get your mail?

Nov 13, 2008, 01:15 PM

I have contacted and adoption insight person and asked her for her help and explained what was going on and she told me to get the court where the adoption took place and have them unseal the records and at age 41 they should have no problem. She also thinks something is not right with all of this. I have written to the court, the hospital where I was supposed to be born, the family that had me and the child hood doctor to see what the heck is going on and try and get some info. See I grew up in a very abusive home for 14 years so I am very hesitatnt. I grew up thinking my family was dead so yes the questions are there. I am sending the stuff certified so I have some proof that they got it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search