Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crosswolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 05:00 AM
    New House, New Thermostat
    Hi Everyone,
    I just bought a new house and one of the first things I did was to change the old thermostat for a Honeywell RTH7500. My heat pump is a Goodman cple30-1. My question is 2 fold, what system type should I choose as far as programming my thermostat? I currently have it set to 7(Multi-stage heat pump) I believe this is not correct due to the unit blowing hot air for about 1-2 seconds when the unit comes on. Also, the outside unit has a very low hum coming from the fan at the top of the unit when the unit is not running. The fan motor is quite warm, almost hot even when it is off. In the morning the hum can be heard through the exterior wall.
    As a reference, here are pics of my old and new thermostat wirings;
    Old: http://pics.livejournal.com/crosswolf/pic/0001reeg
    New: http://pics.livejournal.com/crosswolf/pic/0001sdb1

Second question, can I connect the brown wire to the new thermostat? The old stat did not have it connected.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
    Chaz
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2006, 06:56 AM
    If the brown wire was not connected on the old stat, then it is only a spare wire, and serves no other purpose. So it is not needed for the new stat.

Honeywell is terrible for sharing wiring diagrams or any info on their stats at their website, so I cannot tell the functionality of the new stat, and compare to your system.

I will tell you that you must know exactly what your heat pump system consists of, including aux heat, reversing vales, etc. and find a stat that will control it properly. Not having any info on the stat, I cannot help with this.

If you can , scan the instructions for the new stat, and post it here, perhaps I or someone can help further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP house furnace thermostat? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace will come on with heat SOMETIMES and sometimes it WILL NOT? If I turn thermostat Down and then Up... it come on. Works for a few hours and then may or may not come back on? This is Thermostate problem or Furnace problem? Anything I can check? Thanks,

Do I need a new Thermostat? [ 1 Answers ]

:( Here’s my problem: I have a basic thermostat. It's the one that has the needle on the right side. I set it to 78 deg. And my AC unit will not turn off until it reaches 74 deg.'s:confused: Then when the temperature gets to 76 deg.'s my AC starts back up again! :eek: (hence with out the...

Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have two Maple Chasee (Robershaw now)thermostats in my house controlling two separate rooms. Recently one thermostat stopped turning heater on, but still working on cooling. My other thermostat worked fine both on cooling and heating. I bought a new Robershaw 9600 and replaced the old Maple...

New thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

My old electric baseboard thermostat had 4 wires. The new one I purchased had 2. The electric box had 4. I connected one supply wire to one thermostat wire. I connected one load wire to the other thermostat wire. I connected the remaining supply and load wires together. I didn't blow any circuit...

Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have honeywell T8411R 1028 (2) wired G= grn L C=blue W2=white R=red E=brwn W1 jumpered with yel B Y =yel O=orange I want to change to Honeywell Y594G 1252 It has: ...

View more questions Search