Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kneb8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Downstairs wash tub backup
    My washing machine is next to a 2-bin wash tub in my basement and discharges into it on the rinse cycle. Lately the wash tub has been backing up. I have tried to put lint traps on the washing machine discharge hose to keep lint from going down the drain. This becomes a hassle. I recently tried Instant Power Drain Opener "Guaranteed" to work. It didn't. When I turn on my kitchen sink and let hot water run, the wash tub backs up after a few minutes and then all this "black gook" comes running out. I even found small pieces of lettuce in the sink downstairs. It stinks and won't drain! I'm assuming the piece between the trap and the vent is clogged? The house is 40 years old, but I've replaced that piece once. I've wanted to put in a garbage disposal, but was told not to because the pipes may be old and this may have some effect? Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe? I've also been told not to use powder detergent because it leaves residue in the line. This has helped some, but I still need help as to where to begin.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 24, 2006, 02:53 PM
    You have a partial blockage downstream from the basement laundry tray. To repair this problem the laundry tray vent has to be snaked out from the roof. If the laundry tray vent can't be located then run a snake down the kitchen vent.
    " I recently tried Instant Power Drain Opener "Guaranteed" to work. It didn't."
    They seldom do except in TV commercials.

" I've wanted to put in a garbage disposal, but was told not to because the pipes may be old and this may have some effect? Doesn't make sense to me."
    But it does to me! Why would you wish to add garbage to pipes that you already have a drainage problem with? Regards Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

Urine smell in downstairs bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

WE have a bathroom downstairs that has a strong urine smell coming from the shower , either under the shower or in the drain. What can I do about this to figure out why this is happening? Val

Help, no heat downstairs... [ 11 Answers ]

We have a twin zone system (seperate ground and first floor heating) the 1st floor will heat up to 20c+ with no problem, but the ground floor will not go over 15c?? The room stat on the ground floor is OK. The motorised valve for the ground floor opens/closes OK Boiler was replaced last...

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

View more questions Search