Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendyleigh27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Changing a Child's Last Name
    I have a seven year old son that was born out of wedlock. His father signed the birth certificate, but we gave him my last name. We have since gotten married and would like to change our sons name so we will all have the same last name. Vital Records said it wouldn't be an issue if my husband hadn't signed the birth certificate, but since he did I don't know how to proceed.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 01:29 PM

You and your husband will have to go to court in your county. You will have to pay a fee but your got to go through the courts.
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Oct 1, 2008, 01:42 AM

Liz is right... you must get the name changed in court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyleigh27 View Post
    I have a seven year old son that was born out of wedlock. His father signed the birth certificate, but we gave him my last name. We have since gotten married and would like to change our sons name so we will all have the same last name. Vital Records said it wouldn't be an issue if my husband hadn't signed the birth certificate, but since he did I don't know how to proceed.

In some States you must prove paternity by DNA. You cannot simply change the child's name. (I know, it makes no sense when the father has signed the birth certificate.)

It's a very simple Court proceeding. Call the Clerk of the branch of the County Court which handles such matters.

In some States the forms are available on line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing a child's last name [ 28 Answers ]

I recently got married and would now like to change my Daughter's last name to her new Stepfathers. Her Bio-father is not on the birth cert. but does pay child support and has little to no contact with my daugther. We have no set visitation rights with the courts. Is this possible without the...

Changing my child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have went to court with my sons father and was granted full custody of this child and at the time I agreed to have his name changed but the father was ordered to pay for this to be done within 10 days but did not do so... will he still be allowed to doso at any time?

Changing my child's last name [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to go about changing my 5-year-old daughters last name. Her father and I were never married, so when we had her I chose to give her my last name. I have sole custody of her. I have recently married and have asked my daughter since I will be changing my last name to my...

Changing a child's last name [ 4 Answers ]

If a child is born with no father listed on the birth certificate. Mother marries and child's last name is changed to mothers new name. Is husband responsible for child support if the marriage does not last?

Changing a child's name [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have the right to change my children's surname without applying to do it by deedpoll. Currently my children have there fathers surname, however they refer to themselves by my surname, he does have PR and would not allow them to use my name if I asked him. They have no contact with him and have...

View more questions Search