Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodavie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Moen positemp shower w/ no hot water
    Okay, I've read several Q's and A's here. I guess my situation seems unique, so I'll ask.

I have hot water everywhere else in house.
    I have decent cold water pressure in shower
    When I turn knob to 180 degrees shower goes from good cold pressure to trickle cold w/ no sign of hot.
    When I pull off plate, etc.. I see 3 holes, the top 2 have a little rubber fitting w/ a spring set in... the bottom does not have the rubber and spring.
    There IS hot water coming out of one of these holes!

So, I know there is hot water getting that far...

Notable mention: I just got the place out of foreclosure and have the feeling that the previous owner might have screwed w/ whatever he could in vengeance. So it might be tricky...
    One thought is that the 3rd hole needs the rubber and spring.. but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 09:04 PM

I think you have pressure balanced faucet. Chances are that the balancing piston inside the cartridge is stuck in one position - pushed all the way to the hot water side. It usually happens when faucet is not in use for extended period. Solution: either buy new cartridge or see if you can dislodge that pressure balancing piston loose.

Also, you could have dirt in the body of the faucet...
    jodavie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 04:44 AM
    OK, thanks.
    I guess I'd like to try to dislodge before replacing.
    How do I do that? Is this the pull everything off and turn the main water back on for a good jolt of pressure trick?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 07:31 AM

Shut off the main, remove te clip on the top of the valve body by prying straight up tehn extract the cartridge. Inspect the cartridge and clean. Hold a towel over the valve body opening and have someone else turn the main ON and Off quickly to flush the lines. Grease with plumbers gease or silicone jel and reinstall, better now?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen hot water in shower stopped [ 4 Answers ]

I have what looks very much like model 82683 PosiTemp (http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/instruction_sheets/INS898C.pdf) The difference is on the website the handle appears round but mine is tear drop shape. This is a 2 year old house and this particular bath tub was not used for many months. Now the...

No hot water from Moen shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Moen shower faucet. There is no hot water coming out but the sink has plenty of hot water. Any ideas?

Moen Positemp-Temperature stability issue [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I am a novice plumber--o.k. I haven't really done any real plumbing yet. BUT---we don't have much money for hiring a plumber, so I thought I would try the Internet. The Problem: Hot water heater is fine. I get hot water throughout whole house, EXCEPT when we go to shower, we have...

View more questions Search