Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hbliss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Loud constant vibrating sound after toilet flushing
    After flushing the basement toilet it sometimes produced a loud vibrating sound that would usually stop if it was flushed again. Tonight the noise has not stopped after many flushings. I have also tried flushing other toilets and running different taps in the house all to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
    You may have a loose washer in your angle valve, or bad seal in your fill valve,what type of ballcock is installed in your toilet tank, please see the images, thanks'

John
    Attached Images

Aug 25, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Thanks, I have the one on the left (400A).
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:38 AM
    First check the angle valve for loose washer at the end of the stem, you have to shut the water to the angle valve, remove the nut and the stem inspect the end washer for looseness or damge replace it if need,

If angle valve is OK, you need to inspect or replace the fill valve seal, here how you do it,

Close the angle valve under the tank, press down the fill valve top cap and turn it counter clockwise remove the fill valve cap cover, inspect the washer for wear or cracks. If bad replace it Replacing a bad washer is cheap and easy, if you decide to hunt for a washer, remove it and take it to the store to find a match.

Before installing the washer you need to flush the fill valve, Cover the valve with your hand. Turn on the water (cautiously, so you don’t get a cold shower!) and let it flush out the valve for a few seconds.

Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube when the tank is filled and the ballcock shut down, for info see the images, Good Luck.

John
    Attached Images

Aug 25, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Thanks very much for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud vibrating pipes after flushing! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello there! Lately when we flush the toilet, the cold water pipe starts vibrating furiously, and I don't know what I can do to stop it. Anyone know what the problem and solution is? I'll check threads and see if I can pick up some wisdom on this listserv, Thank you EVER so much for...

Loud sound when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I get this loud humming sound when I flush my toilet for a minute or less, what could it be?

Loud moaning sound in pipes after flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I flush my toilet there is a very loud moaning, like a tuba sound, that comes from the pipes. It can make this sound for quite awhile after the toilet has finished flushing and has become filled. It is so loud it rattles the wall. What can I do to stop this?

Loud vibrating sound after flushing toilet, using wash basin [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The townhome I am living in is just 5 years old. From the last one and a half months, in the master bedroom toilet, we have been hearing loud vibrating sound after we flush the toilet or even after we use the counter top. Initially, about a month back, we would hear this sound only once...

Loud noise when flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

There is a loud noise when I flush my toilet. I have learned that turning on the bath water causes the loud noise to not occur, or to stop mid noise. The noise seems to getting louder and longer with time. I appreciate any assistance troubleshooting this problem.

View more questions Search