Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkey926 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Who can garnish your wages?
    My husband had a credit card that he got behind on when he was furloughed from his job for almost 2 yrs. With interest and late fees, it got to 15,000.00. The credit company was going to to settle for around 3000.00 because my husband had been a customer (credit cardholder) for many years but it might as well have been 3,000,000 because we didn't have to the money to settle. So - it was sold to a collection agency and they are demanding over 15,000 from us and we know they couldn't have paid that much to the credit card company. Question - can they garnish his wages or file a judgement against us or our property - what can we do? We do not have the money to pay -still recovering from him being out of work.
    JAMIET Posts: 73, Reputation: 12

Aug 22, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Sorry to say, but they can file for garnishment against any income you have.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2008, 03:48 PM
    The collector must sue and take a judgement against your husband before his wages or bank account can be garnished.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Yes, before a garnshiment or levy on your accounts can happen there has to be a judgement issued by the court. As far as the amount they are asking for it could very well be with late charges,etc added on. Try to work with the collection agency BEFORE they take you to court because once they get a Judgement they have little reason to work with you. Check the laws in your state to see if your property would be exempt if it got to that point. If you truly can't see your way out of this then maybe bankruptcy is an option you would want to look at.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Depends on where you live, if you live in a state that allows garnishments, yes they may do that, they may also attach your bank accounts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnish wages [ 2 Answers ]

Can a credit card company card companies garnish wages.

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

Can They take my new home or garnish my wages? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this so bare with me. I am desperate, and have been doing a lot of research on my own to try and come up with the correct answers and I'm only more confused. I need someone that knows the laws and can give me an answer on some of my questions. My husband and I own a home in...

Can creditors garnish wages in TX [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if creditors can garnish wages in the state of TX.

Disability wages to garnish [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the State of Florida will garnish disabilty wages from social security on child support. Court order my exhusband to give me any benefits he was receiving on behalf of my son in leiu of back pay in child support, but he kept everything... PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search