Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2008, 01:19 PM
    No Freedom
    I feel like I have no freedom and no life. I'm sixteen and I have never partied or gone clubbing before. I've never drank, done drugs, smoked, or had sex. I'm a good girl, and I want to keep it that way. The PROBLEM is my parents are so strict on me. I am taking an ACT PREP class and they are always like, "Do you appreciate the 800 dollars we spent on you? Do your homework!" I just can't wait for college because I feel so trapped in this house.
    DrLang Posts: 98, Reputation: 10

Aug 6, 2008, 01:25 PM
    I've always believed that it is a very dangerous game parents play when they do not allow their children more freedom as the grow older and accept more responsibility. This parenting style has a nasty habit of causing a major unbridled revolt once the children are out of the house, and that can be dangerous.

I think freedom does need to be earned with responsibility, but it sounds like that should not be a problem with you. I sympathize for your situation and can only advise you to be ware when you go to college and not just bust right out.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Why are your parents having to remind you to do your homework in a class that cost your family $800? College won't get cheaper! If you're taking a college prep class, it's to teach you to self-motivate and work at a college pace/level.

Your parents won't be there to make you do your college homework, and your teachers won't care if you do it or not like they do in high school. College is about learning to learn yourself, and professors check to make sure you are staying on track.

So, do your homework, and remember every time someone has to remind you to do you ACT Prep homework, you've already failed the first half of the quiz, the part on self-motivation.
    avaanstar Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Why are your parents having to remind you to do your homework in a class that cost your family $800? College won't get cheaper! If you're taking a college prep class, it's to teach you to self-motivate and work at a college pace/level.

Your parents won't be there to make you do your college homework, and your teachers won't care if you do it or not like they do in high school. College is about learning to learn yourself, and professors check to make sure you are staying on track.

So, do your homework, and remember every time someone has to remind you to do you ACT Prep homework, you've already failed the first half of the quiz, the part on self-motivation.
    I didn't explain my topic very well, obviously.
    I ALWAYS do my homework. My parents are just always nagging me to do it sooner. But I always do it!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
    After I got married (23 years and counting), I used to get REALLY bugged when my wife would nag me to do things I was doing already, going to do, or had done already. It took me years to adjust my thinking to consider it differently and not be so bothered by it.

Now, I just remember those moments as instances when we are actually in perfect synchronization. She and I both think I should be doing something in particular, so there's no need to get mad, we are in agreement. The fact that our timelines might be a little off is of less importance, so I try to ignore that part and stay happy that we are both in sync.

It's purely a perspective thing. I could just as easily respond with "I did that already!" or "Stop nagging me, I'll get to it!"... but then we'd be at odds instead of agreement. Instead, I try to respond with "Haha! Gotcha, did that already, what a team!" or "I thought that was a good idea, too, so I'll do that soon, not to worry!"

When people truly care about each other, they look for ways to be in agreement.

It's a perspective thing.
    MANDMO 91 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2008, 07:01 PM
    I am 17 and have the exact problem!! I can't go to parties hangout late or a lot with my friends etc! My parents always stress about homework and stuff as well! BTU just remember they do it because they love you soooo much! You should be worried when they stop caring! I know its annoying but when they do let you go out show them how responsible you are and it will continue to grow in time! To your parents you are still and always be their little girl! Ahah annoying I know once again to hear that but it is the truth! I would go out every nigth if I could but I can't and prob will nevr be able to lol this is hard stuff because they don't change! Just hang in there and be really nice! Ahah
    sheila7867 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 05:42 PM

My dad last week from a smoking related disease. So don't smoke.. I have been clubbing done the lot and I now regret it and wish I had focused on my studies.. life is short. Enjoy it but don't waste it. Your parents care that's why gthey nag. Wish I had your parents perhaps I would have made something of myself by now
    Moniquee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
    I understand where you coming from I can't do nothing ir go nowhere no matter if theur cousins or friends I can't step on my front porch without getting fussed about and it drives me crazy to the point where I cry my eyes out and the bad thing is I'm 17 getting treated like I'm seven and its do hard when you get invited to things and you can't never go to nothing hearing everyone talk about something that you were invited to but couldn't go... I feel like a person on house arrest.. sad thing is wgen I get older I won't have a childhoid to look back on just how much I stayed in my room and looked at my walls and cried in my pillows

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religious Freedom [ 16 Answers ]

I have been reading where the IRS has been investigating more churches for getting involved in Politics by indorcing canidates or by telling people to vote for people that have certain beleifs ( and other reasons) that violate IRS rules and regulatoins. Does this not violate the churches...

Psp_monsterhunter freedom [ 1 Answers ]

I got a usb cord and everything but I don't know how to get my game online with it Pless help:D :D

What is freedom? [ 11 Answers ]

Would the last man on earth be free? Does freedom and independence mean you are not dependent upon others for survival? If a master of slaves is dependent upon his slaves to do what he requires and needs to live... is he really free and independent?

Degree of freedom [ 2 Answers ]

What is the number of translational,rotational and vibrational degree of freedom in carbondioxide molecule? Plzz help me in solving this question...

Freedom of press [ 1 Answers ]

What should be guaranteed freedom of press besides newspapers? :)

View more questions Search