Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Aug 2, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Larger destop icons and Start menu!
    Does anyone know how I can restore the computer so that verything is then same as it was say ysterday?
    HELP!

Or if I can't do that

On my screen everythign has gotten larger!
    Whnere the start menu is has gottn larger, and all the icons on my desktop have gotten lkarger,
    How do I fix this?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
    I'll bet you have an HP or Compaq running Windows Vista, right?

Find the update for the express 945 chipset, or something like that, and uninstall that update.

I had the same issue, I turned off automatic updates so that I could make sure that it didn't load that update again and now I have no problem with it.

You do have to remember to check for important updates, once a week or so, if you do turn off the auto update feature.

Aug 2, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Well I did do that! Haha
    Now I'm updating it and ill see what happens!@

Aug 2, 2008, 01:58 PM
    And no I a toshiba running xp

Aug 2, 2008, 02:40 PM
    So that didn't work
    Any other ideas?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Perhaps the icons and stuff got larger because your display resolution went down. Low-resolution display settings mean big, kiddie looking screen displays, while higher resolutions make the fonts and icons progressively smaller as the higher resolution represents a larger "desktop" for you.
    1. Close all open programs so you can see the desktop
    2. Right-click on a blank spot somewhere on the screen, not on an icon
    3. Select PROPERTIES from the popup menu
    4. Click the SETTINGS tab
    5. On the Screen Resolution slider, move it to the right to make your resolution higher
    6. Click APPLY
    7. Windows will show you the new screen and ask if you like it.
      • Click on NO to revert back and try a new setting
      • Click on YES to keep the new settings
    8. Click on OK to close the Display Properties

Play around with the settings and see what you like.

If you REALLY want to get adventurous, click on the APPEARANCE tab and play with the various color schemes and font sizes. You can even create your own custom color layout and font. Under the ADVANCED tab you can globally increase the icon sized, and more.

It's a good idea to learn all these settings do to make an informed choice about your computing environment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No run command in start menu [ 4 Answers ]

Hi good evening, I am unable to open regedit, task manager and run command not found in start menu. Please help me in this regard. Thanking you.

Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! This is my first post My Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu. Any kind soul please help

Start menu taskbar [ 4 Answers ]

On the start menu task bar the open windows doesn't appear to me to navigate easily between pages I need to make it appear again

Slow start menu [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running win98 on a refurbished IBM netvista, Pentium II. I've noticed over the last few weeks that my start menu is sporadically very slow. Like, I will click Start, and it will take 30 seconds or more for the menu to pop up. Sometimes it doesn't pop up at all, the computer freezes and I have...

WindowsXP: Customize Start Menu [ 15 Answers ]

I use Classic Start Menu. When viewing Customize Classic Start Menu, I have a button for Sort... but when I click it, nothing happens. There is no recognizable order of the apps in Start > Programs. I want them alphabetized. How can I do this? Thanks!

View more questions Search