Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwayne71 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 01:18 PM
    220 outlet in my garage
    I hope this helps, the breaker is a double 40 it has 4 wires 3 of which are about 3/8 inch in diameter or so ,sorry unsure what gauge. And the bare ground wire. Note: nothing else on that breaker. The outlet is a 30 amp 125/250 volt4 hole. Again I would like to change this to a 3 wire plug to power a welder that is a 230v 50a 60h single phaze input, I hope this is better info than my first question.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 12, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Does your welder
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Youn eed to verify the size of the wire going to the existing plug. You will need to use #6 wire to carry the 50 amp load. Does the welder require a 3 or 4 prong receptacle?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 12, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Dwayne,

You need to stay in one thread. You are all over the place. You do not have to start a new thread to post answers, or questions.

Missouri,

If I used #8 THHN for my arc welder, what size (Max size) OCPD can I use?

Dwayne, can you post the model number and manufacture name of your welder. Just want to verify your information.

Thanks!

PS: A 3/8 diameter is close to being a #6-3NM-b or closer to being a #6-2NM-b<<<yet, don't go installing anything. I agree with Missouri, that wire needs to be verified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

Black smutaround outlet in garage [ 2 Answers ]

The outlet in my garage won't work!I had a fridge plugged into it.now there's black smut around it how do I replace the outlet?

Garage Outlet Mystery [ 3 Answers ]

Hello and thanks for looking at my problem. I am going to describe my problem the best that I can. A couple of weeks ago I came home form work and the electric opener on my detached garage wasn't opening. I opened the door manually and went to investigate. My door opener motor is plugged into...

Adding GFI outlet to garage light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the outside garage light and would like to put an outlet next to it. The switch has a black wire and a wite one marked black. So do I just add the switch in to the hot (black) wre then make a "jumper" wire from the white side to the black hot side of the switch, and...

View more questions Search