Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patjohnston Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Cistern noise
    When I flush my toilet there is a terrible loud noise while the cistern fills. Any ideas ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 8, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by patjohnston
    When I flush my toilet there is a terrible loud noise while the cistern fills. Any ideas ?
    Describe the noise. Is it a squeal? A bang? What? Regards, Tom

Jul 8, 2008, 05:42 AM
    It's like a very, very loud hum almost like a ships horn !
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 8, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Ahh! That would place the falt in the ball cock.The noise you hear is the washer viberating against the seat as the tank fills. The solution would be to shut the water off at the stop and remove the three screws on top and pull the float ball and stem and washer assembly up and out. Pry the washer out and turn it over. Now, with the ballcock still open, turn the water back on to flush the supply out. Now check there linkage between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have 1/4" of play when your tank is filled. Next feel the flat side of your flapper. Does it have wavey edges? Do your hands come away black? Replace it if it does. And last check the seat itself. Any nicks or rough spots? If so click on back. There are replacement seats that glue right over the old one and are easy to replace. One of the above should take care of your howling. This happened in a new house some years ago. Only at night and in the early morning. They thought the house was haunted and were about to move out. I caught it in the powder room toilet. It would vibrate and the pipes in the wall would pick it up and carry it all over the house. Hope this helps, Tom

Jul 8, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Thanks speedball1 I'll try them and get back to you, again thanks how do I rate your answer ?

Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Thanks speedball turned washer over... perfect, cistern even fills quicker now. I'm an electrician and I've asked lots of plumbers on site in liverpool and around the U.K. to no avail then a retired Yank sorts it first go!! Plumbing world lost a star when you retired mate. Thanks again
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 10, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Thanks for those kind words. I was in your city back in the late 40's. Had a great time there. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water in wc cistern [ 1 Answers ]

Hi could you tell me why I have really hot water in my toilet cistern,thanks

Cistern not filling [ 4 Answers ]

I have a push button toilet, and the cistern has stopped filling. Water is entering the cistern, though slowly. I filled it with a bucket, and 5 minutes later it was empty, so I think it's not holding the water, it's trickling down into the toilet. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

Push button cistern [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get into a push button cistern on a toilet can you not just take the top off

Plugged up Cistern? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a precast cistern that was installed in 1979 that seems to be plugged up. I removed all the dirt from the top and located the square opening to gain entry. It was about half full so I decided to be a brave soul and went in. There was about one inch of really fine silt in the...

WC cistern will not fill [ 1 Answers ]

2 years ago we had a new toilet fitted, within those years we've had 1 new cistern installed because the it would not fill and it's happened again. It's a low fitted. As anyone any idea what causes this and how to "fix it" Thanks

View more questions Search