Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    astonmartini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Craftsman riding mower only starts with a jump from a car battery
    Hello,

We've got a Craftsman rider (~15hp) and it won't start on it's own, but it will start with the help of a car battery. I've seen a lot of forums that talk about solenoids and relays, but I'm not sure if this is our problem, and if so, which part is bad. If the mower has been sitting for awhile and I try to start it without help from the car battery, there will be several clicks and it tries to turn over. As I keep trying to start it, it won't turn over, and eventually there won't be any clicks either. I touched the two terminals of the solenoid with a screwdriver and I hear the clicks. After another try or two, the clicks stop. What could my problem be? Should the engine have started when I jumped the solenoid? What is the purpose of the solenoid and relays?

Thanks,

Thomas
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2008, 06:40 PM
    I think its as simple as your tractor battery is dead. You should be able to give it a slow trickle charge and bring it back to life. However, if that battery has been discharge for a long time it may never recover fully.
    astonmartini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 07:56 PM
    OK, sounds good. How do these batteries stay charged? For awhile I would charge it and it wouldn't stay charged. I thought the alternator was dead, but as far as I can tell the mower doesn't have one...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding Mower Starts, but won't Move [ 6 Answers ]

My son was mowing the lawn with our John Deere riding mower yesterday. It stalled on him and he pushed it back to the driveway. I got it started, but when you step on the gas, it doesn't move. Now the thing is stuck in the front yard and it started raining overnight! Any ideas? :confused:

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Craftsman mower stopped moving but blade engagement still works and mower starts [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone help me determine why my craftsman kohler engine 16hp manuel transmission riding lawnmower stopped being able to move but still is able to turn on/off and engage the mower blade? I have checked the clutch but it appears to work since the mower is able to be turned on/off. All of the...

New battery dead on craftsman T1000 mower [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a new battery for my Craftsman T1000, 16 HP mower since I had to jump start it the ;ast 3 times at the end of last year. After putting on the new battery it started great the first day and now it is dead again after only 1 use. I made sure the lights were off, the key was off, etc. ...

Riding Mower Battery Problems ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L110 riding mower and I am having problems with the battery. The last battery and now the new one have gone dead after a few days of use. The new one worked great when I first installed it so I figured my problem was solved. When I attempted to start it a few days later the...

View more questions Search