Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heidi929rn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 03:39 PM
    HIPAA Violations
    A nurse I work with/supervise, called a family member to let them know she was being sent to the hospital. The family member asked, "who is being sent to the hospital?" and she told her the resident's name. The family member then stated, that is not my mother's name. The nurse then apologized to the family member and stated, "I'm sorry, I had the wrong chart in front of me and I called by mistake." The family member was upset and stated, that is a violation of HIPAAA. How much trouble can she be in for this violation-without intent to give out this information to the wrong third party?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
    This is a very gray area in HIPAA. Mistakes happen. Reports get faxed to wrong numbers, phone calls get made to wrong numbers, etc.

Was there any permanent harm done? Nah. Should she be reprimanded? Probably so. A write up in her file would possibly be the way to go.
    medivac Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Jun 26, 2008, 10:47 AM
    I have been through so much of that HIPAA junk it makes me sick just hearing about it. People make mistakes, that's life and that is what humans do. I think MAYBE a write up is the only thing that should be done to this nurse for her negligent action of not double checking the chart, however I think that is as far as it should go. Whoever the person was on the other end of the line doesn't sound as if they are very pleasant to begin with

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Violations [ 1 Answers ]

How do I report a Hipaa violation?

HIPAA Violations? [ 27 Answers ]

My child was discovered to have lice at school. 1. The children were immediately lined up together to go to the nurse office for a lice inspection. My child was the only one told to take her belongings. Of course, the other children figured out that my child had lice. A notice was sent home to...

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing? If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation? How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?

HIPAA violations [ 15 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. He checked himself into the hospital for alcohol detox. He was later transferred to another facility because the first facility did not have overnight accommodations for detox. Meanwhile he was assured of patient confidentiality. At that facility one of the...

Hipaa Violations [ 3 Answers ]

The owner/boss of the company I was working for asked me question concering my doctors appointment. She got angry and basically demanded me to tell whether it was for medical research because she had heard it through the grapevine. I lied and told her it was not for that. She demanded me to tell...

View more questions Search