Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Iowa flooding now there's mold
    Hello. We had water in our basement and discovered in a little closet down there, that mold had been growing for a long time. We never used the closet. We managed to clean it off the cement with a detergent/disinfectant, and then bleach. Problem is, we are finding mold behind the wood paneling that makes up the closet on two sides. I've read that using bleach on wood does not kill mold. What does? The solution I have is a fungicide, but it did not removed all the black dots of the mold from the cement block. I know we ought to tear out this whole closet, but the work involved is pretty messy. Do you think I can successfully kill the rest of the mold that I can see, use a dehumidifier, fan, and keep the door open... that that will keep mold at bay??
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Be careful with bleach, it's an oxidizer and corrosive... Tile-x or equivalent works with direct contact. Mold grows into, and is protected by wood. Ultimately this wood will rot and need replacing. The black dots on cement are the dead molds' physical structure and can be minimized by scrubbing, but difficult to remove completely. An idea is to cover with exterior paint containing a fungicide additive.
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jun 23, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Thanks so much. I did use Tilex, sprayed it on and used a scrub brush. If, as you say, the wood will eventually rot, then the closet's days are numbered... we really should take it down. Shouldn't we?
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Jun 23, 2008, 05:50 PM
    It's been flooded... even boats need regular maintenance to protect their wood from water... although in their case, they were designed for it... the last wooden submarine was a long time ago. May God bless you, and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Iowa [ 37 Answers ]

Hello: I get the feeling that you righty's out there just can't get enthused about your candidates. I see Tom is still supporting his Rudy and Fred stuff. The Woverine ain't talking. Speech and Dennis ain't either. I ain't seen NOTHING from you guys lately about Huck and Wrongny. The Dems...

Iowa Carcus postmortum [ 22 Answers ]

John Podhoretz writes this morning at Commentary Magazine : Commentary » Blog Archive » IOWA: A Very Cheerful Rudy Giuliani

Lease Termination in Iowa [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment. There are 11 months left on the lease. I was recently approved for my first mortgage and have a lot hold on a townhome in a new development (yet to be built). If I decide to purchase I have to commit by signing a purchase agreement in October. Still have the...

View more questions Search