Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohfisherman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Bathtub gurgles when toilet is flushed
    The bathtub gurgles when toilet is flushed. Just started this afternoon. We had a huge storm just roll through. I have sewer, no septic. Any ideas?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 11:06 PM
    Sewer may have a clog, be filled, or have some kind of break in it somewhere?

You should call the city is my best suggestion.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 11:33 PM
    OLDfisherman - Charlotte234s- Has the right idea, I would think that you have a sewer stopped up , Call a plumber and have him to rod ( SNAKE ) out the sewer line; it could be a clogged up vent also GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS::: F.B.E.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2008, 05:14 AM
    the bathtub gurgles when toilet is flushed.
    Are you sure it gurgles? A gurgle would indicate a vent problem while a bubble indicates a clog in the drainage line. Cheers, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 22, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Check your toilet vent

Jun 22, 2008, 03:24 PM
    What's the difference between a gurgle and a bubble? When I flush it kind of makes a glunk-glunk-glunk noise out of the tub drain. If I have water in the tub draining at the time I get a big bubble. I looked down the vent and it looks clear. I had a cap on it so I don't think it could be a bird or anything like that. I have a split level house and its all on the upstairs bathroom. I have not noticed any slow drains or anything else.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
    what's the difference between a gurgle and a bubble?
    Glad you asked. When your fixtures began to talk back to you they do it in two ways. They "gurgle" atcha or they "bubble" atcha. The "gurgle" is caused by vacuum caused by a blocked vent. The noise you hear is the sound of the air venting through the water of the trap. The "bubble" is caused by back pressure due to a partial blockage What happens is that when you flush or drain the discharge runs down the drain line and hits the partial blockage and bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it. A partial blockage will also cause a backup sending soap or crud into a fixture until it can drain away. Does that answer your question? Regards, Tom

Jun 22, 2008, 07:23 PM
    I put drain cleaner down the tub drain. Still no change. I might have to bite the bullet and get a snake down it. Does it sound like a blockage it the toilet or the tub? Its my upstairs bathroom. Nothing is draining slow...

Jun 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Just stopped on its own! I think it might have been a clog in the main from what I have described to people. Thanks for all the info.

Jun 24, 2008, 05:00 AM
    Never mind... its doing it again.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 24, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfisherman
    never mind....its doing it again.
    Snake the drain line. Let ne know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Jun 24, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Coming out Sunday to do the mainline. I will do a better inspection of the vent later this weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub gurgles when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

Bathtub gurgles when toilet is flushed

Bathtub drain gurgles when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

This problem just recently started and after several fluhes the water is drained from the trap in the bathtub drain and we get sewer gas. The toilet is about 5-6 feet from the toilet. This is in a 50 year old house, but the bathroom was up dated over 10 years ago.

Shower gurgles when toilet is flushed. AAV? [ 2 Answers ]

Host: Only recently, My shower gurgles when the toilet is flushed. I read your response to a similar question with the response, "Somehow you're not venting the system. Check the AAV to be sure it's working.". I do not however, know what an AAV is (or where it is located), could you expand...

Bathtub Gurgles and SMELLS when Toilet Flushed [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet is flushed, the bathtub starts gurgling and the smell from the bathroom is terrible. I used a snake for some time, but it seemed to spin fine, the gurgle is maybe a little quieter, but didn't go away. Help... my house smells! -Eric

Tub drain gurgles when toilet flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush the toilet, the bathtub drain makes a gurgling noise. There is not any water coming into the tub, but is the sign of a future problem?

View more questions Search