Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loneposse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Central ac coils freeze up and then blower motor quits
    I have a problem with my Miller 2 ton central A/C unit,when turned on it will run for a few minutes then the coils etc start icing up fast and the blower motor will quit and get very hot.I have replaced the capacitors,contactor,cleaned coils & tried another blower motor but get the same results,the unit is a late 80's model.. any clues on what might be causing this? Thanks!:confused:
    crystalbivens Posts: 489, Reputation: 26

Jun 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
    You need to turn the unit off and let it thaw out then call a AC man to put some freon in it.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
    It could be a
    Undercharge of refrigerant.
    Plugged air filter
    Blocked return air
    Closed registers

The blower motor should stay running all the time the A/C outside unit is running.

The blower motor you replaced the original with could be defective.
    The blower motor could be running in the wrong rotation/direction causing the air not to move.
    Try running the blower motor by itself when the coil is not iced up. You should feel a strong flow of air out of all the registers.
    asopao20022002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
    It could be the time delay ralay, replace it and see what happens! I am almost sure that's the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

JD68 motor quits after 20 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem on my JD 68 rider. I replaced the engine with a B&S Mod. 195707 several years ago. Currently it runs fine for 20-30 minutes then starts shaking and motor dies. Will not restart immediately. Has to cool down. I have rerouted gas line away from muffler pipe and hot engine but no...

Heil Central Air Freeze-up [ 1 Answers ]

WE have a Heil central air conditioner model # NACO36AKC3. The copper pipe entering the outside unit keeps freezing up. I happened again last night. The outside tempature wa @ 60 degrees while the inside temp we @ 75 degrees. The air flow into the condo was not cold. Upon investigation, I...

Central air blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York split system heat & air. The blower does not come on with a/c. Works with heat or fan only position. I pulled a wire off the capacitor mounted on the blower cover(squirrel cage blower) The blower hummed but did not start, started when I replaced wire. This was done with thermostat...

Coils freeze window ac unit. Why? [ 6 Answers ]

The coils keep freezing. I'm told it's a low freon issue from a friend. Is this true? The unit is nearing 7 years, and I don't recall having any problems with it , or ever charging it.

Murray Riding (Briggs Motor) carb sputters quits -- too much fuel? [ 11 Answers ]

I have an old Murray riding motor that won't run for more than a minute or two. If I clean the plug, I can get it to start fairly easy but will start to sputter and finally stop after a minute or two. I took the carb off and made sure the float wasn't stuck -- it appeared fine. Running the mower...

View more questions Search