Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babyg79 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Flea baths for kittens
    I have been given a mother and her 3 kittens. The kittens are still nursing. They are about 4weeks old now, they are wondering around and starting to climb a little bit. They all have fleas. Am i able to give them anything or put a flea collar on them? Also am i able to give them baths yet, if so what should i use? baby shampoo, or dish soap?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
    You can bath them. I would use a mild kitten shampoo or just plain water... but the soap will help keep the fleas in the water. Start on their heads... so the fleas run down the body and drown. I would also get a fine toothed flea comb.. under 3.00 bucks at walmart.
    As for the mama call the vets office they may be able to tell you if you can use a flea medicine on her... have to be careful as this may be toxic to the nursing kittens.

You can also dry the kittens using a hair dryer on low.

Please see if you can get help from a cat rescue to have the mama and possibly the kittens spayed. A lot of times they will help pay or get you into contact with programes that have discount vouchers. I want to add that it is nic eof you to take them in and take care of them.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
    HiYa, I just recently went through this too with some kittens left behind when someone moved and left them.
    You can wash the kittens in original blue Dawn dish soap, it will kill the fleas.
    Have to be careful not to get it in the kittens eyes.
    You can hold them by their momma handle to keep them calm and still while bathing them.
    It was very nice of you to take the babies in, good luck to you.
    babyg79 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Thank you very much for your help. I have been contact with a vet, that is willing to help me with getting mom and kittens fixed. They are also going to help me with their exams, shots and some of their meds as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm sick of cold baths! [ 7 Answers ]

OK... we have 2 bathrooms upstairs. One is shower only and one is bathtub/whirlpool only. Shower and both sink faucets give scalding hot water, but the tub only gives lukewarm water. I know it sounds absurd, but it seems a tiny bit warmer if someone has recently taken a shower in the other...

Step-Daughter w/ STD wants to take baths with my son [ 54 Answers ]

Hi, I have a step-daughter, age 19 who's got HPV (aka genital warts). She wants to be able to take baths with my son, who's only 7. I say absolutely not, it's not worth the risk of his catching HPV. My hubby says I'm just being hateful against his daughter. Nothing I've read on the web...

2 week kittens flea infested [ 1 Answers ]

Yes I was wondering if anyone would know if it is OK to use vinger water on 2 week old kittens... We have found a mother and took her in and she gave birth 2 5 kittens... and now all of them are infested with fleas bad... I need to know if there is anything cheap we can use for them... I heard...

2 New baths above basement sink [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding 2 new bathrooms in my home. They will drain into a 3" pvc vent stack coming up from the basement. There is one bar sink in the basement that drains into this stack. If I add these 2 full baths into this drain do I need to also revent the sink? This is a finished basement and getting...

My dog hates baths [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old golden retriver and she hates baths. I've tried everything I can think of. I've tried the tub, outside with a hose, a small wading pool, different shampoos, groomers, different groomers. You name it, I've tried it. If I even mention the word bath, she runs off or it's like...

View more questions Search