Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leslye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Preserving maple tree 'helicopters'
    Does anyone know a way to preserve the 'helicopters' so that they stay green? I've tried nail polish and waxpaper but neither works (the helicopters turn brown). I'd appreciate any ideas.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslye
    Does anyone know a way to preserve the 'helicopters' so that they stay green? I've tried nail polish and waxpaper but neither works (the helicopters turn brown). I'd appreciate any ideas.
    I'm not sure it's possible, but you might try a clear varnish or polyeurethane.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 17, 2008, 06:52 PM
    I am wonedring why you would want to do this. Most folks are asking us how to kill them and you want to preserve them. It can not be done, the green is the seed is trying to germinate and if it doesn't get enough water it will die and turn brown. Give it water and it germinates and won't be green once the roots use up the stored "food" in the seed.
    plantnut3380 Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I don't know if this will work but we used to mix half glycerin and water to preserve eucalyptus branches. Since water might make the maple seeds germinate, you might just use the glycerin by itself. You won't want to make a big bunch because it was sort of pricey the last time I checked. Glycerin can be found at your local pharmacy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree [ 3 Answers ]

Power company came by wanting to trim some trees near power line , I was afraid they may try to trim a maple tree so I made sure I said they could not ,he asked if the could trim a dead branch .(period) we agreed , they cut an entire half of the tree like right down the middle so it is like flat on...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

I had an old beautiful maple tree in my backyard that looks like it is dying. The leaves last year didn't get as big as they usually did and now this year most of the tree did not bud and what ever did is turning brown and drying up. It is June and it should look great not like it is dying. I live...

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

Which red maple tree? [ 1 Answers ]

PLease help me decide which red maple tree to plant. I live in Greensboro, NC and the site is in full sun with somewhat clay soil. I am looking for a beautiful fiery red tree with a good shape. I am confused about the cultivars "October Glory", Autumn Flame, or Red Sunset. The pictures I have...

View more questions Search