Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimbennett02 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Ultrasound normal or not?
    I am approx. 5 weeks and 3 days pregnant and have had some spotting. I went yesterday for an US and all they could see is the sac. NO fetal pole or yolk sac. I was just wondering if this was normal because of how early I am or should I be concerned. My hcg levels are were they should be. Thanks
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2008, 06:59 AM
    It's not "normal" but it is fairly common (to the point most OBs suggest seeing the fetal pole between 5 - 6 weeks) at five weeks to not be able to see the fetal pole. I suggest going for another ultrasound in a week (I'm sure your OB suggested this).
    kasad Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Hi Kimbennet, what hppened at your second ultrasound... my doc couldn't see the foetal pole at 5 weeks and suggested me to wait, which is killing me...

Aug 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Kasad.. I am now 17wks pregnant with a healthy baby.. I was just as worried as you are but every pregnancy and doctors advice are different. I don't think that it is all that abnormal not to see the fetal pole at 5 weeks. I am sure that it happens all the time. I had to wait another week and when we did another US we also saw the heart beat. Give it time.. and hopefully your outcome will be as good as mine.. keep us in touch..

Aug 26, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Thanks a lot Kimbennett... by the way what kind of spotting did you have? I mean which color and all? You know I had some brown (only when I wiped after using the washroom) n it went for two days with slight cramps and stopped after that for almost couple of days and started again for a day or so. I am just scared to death because I had a miscarriage in march this year... so I hope everything goes well.. please pray for me.. and I will keep in touch. I don't hve a spotting or cramps this time.. just that my legs are a bit heavy kind of... Also I am not having any kind of morning sckness etc just a bit of nauseau off and on... is it normal?

Aug 27, 2008, 06:42 AM
    I only had spotting for about a day.. and it was brown... not a lot.. however cramping was a different story. They put me on progestrone shots starting about 4wks until 12 weeks.. and that helped a lot with the cramping.. I know how worried you might be because I had a misscarriage in 2001 and then a 30wk preemie in 2004... so needless to say I am still worried that this baby will be born on time and not early.. not to mention that I am a nurse so I know all the bad things.. in your case just give it time.. with my son I was sick all the time.. morning and night... with this baby I have not been nauseauated or sick at any given time.. so every pregnancy is different! Just take it day by day.. and try not to be worried until they tell you otherwise.. the stress is not good for you either.. I will be praying for you and if I can help in any other way just let me kow..

Aug 27, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Thank you so much.. You have given me a new life... well I think I will give it another week, by the time I will be about 7 weeks.. and then go for an US. What do you say? Or should I wait for another week or so...
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Aug 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
    If it doesn't kill you to do so try and hold out for week eight or nine... you might get to see the babies heartbeat at that point... I personally loved that part of it.

Aug 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
    I would leave that decision to my dr.. That is just my opinion.. but you have to keep your sanidy.. good luck and let us know how things go..

Aug 28, 2008, 09:08 PM
    Thanks a lot, Myth and Kimbennett... I think I will wait for another week or so and will keep you posted.. but you guys keep me in your prayers... I need them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ultrasound and conception [ 1 Answers ]

When you go for an ultrasound and they tell you e.g. 18 weeks and 1 day... do you count back from that day 18 weeks and one day? Is the date given here your conception date or do you have to take off two weeks I am getting confused with all this

Ultrasound ?s [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I am 16 weeks pregnant with my third child and they did an ultrasound but to early to find out what it is now I don't go to the docs until I'm 20 weeks but I really want to know are they any way to tell I got 2 boys so if this is a girl I need to get prepared for it what should I do??

Getting an ultrasound. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way that you can go some place just to get an u/s? I really like my doctor and I don't want to go behind his back, but he only does an u/s at 20weeks. I'm 12 weeks and there is a possibility I might be having twins and I would really like to know for sure. I don't know if I can go to an...

21 Week Ultrasound [ 2 Answers ]

I Wanted To Know I Got An Ultrasound At 21 Weeks Of Pregnancy And They Told Me It Was A Boy For Sure , Is There Any Chance That It Could Be A Mistake, Is There A Chance It Could Be A Girl.

20 week ultrasound. [ 17 Answers ]

I went in for my lvl 2 u/s today and everything is looking great. The twins are weighing in at 10oz each. I've gained a total of 9lbs although I've lost two. We managed to find out the sexes today although they weren't as coperative as I had hoped for. It looks like we're having a boy(definately)...

View more questions Search