Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Need to buy a laptop, which one?
    Hey everyone!

So I decided it's time for me to get a laptop and I was wondering if anyone had any advise on some good ones to get.

I have $600 to spend, I know that's not much, but I don't really need it for hard core computer stuff, just need a laptop for my CPA class and for when I move out of my parents house..

Any advise would be very appreciated, Thanks!!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 20, 2008, 02:58 PM
    $600 is a perfect amount of money, don't let ANYONE or any salesman tell you differently.

The easiest thing is to go slowly and shop the big discount houses online. The last three laptops I bought were from TigerDirect.com and they have weekly blowout and overstock sales.

Go to their website and sign up for the daily/weekly sales announcements. You should be able to grab a usable laptop within your budget!

I bought an Acer here for only $500 3 years ago, my daughter uses it daily in college and never caused her any hiccups.

Here's an Acer delivered for less than $500 on there right now. It's a great spot to shop. Highly recommended.
    Acer Aspire 5315-2713 Notebook PC - Intel Celeron Dual-Core T1400 1.73GHz, 802.11bg Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 15.4" WXGA, Windows Vista Home Basic, Open Box RB-LX.ALC0Y.336 ON at TigerDirect.com
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 20, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Thank you so much! I have a question, does it allow me to go on the internet wirelessly?
    Software Expert

May 20, 2008, 10:08 PM
    You will actually be hard-pressed to find a laptop nowadays that doesn't have a wireless network card.

Notice I said wireless network, not wireless internet. This means anytime your laptop is in an area where a wireless internet connection is being shared, it can see it and you can connect to it.

But the internet isn't free. So in your house, for instance, you will already have to have an internet service (Cable, DSL, satellite) and have a wireless router connected to that service. That router will "broadcast" that internet connection through your house for wireless devices like your laptop to use.

I hope all that makes sense. Anyway, yes, those laptops have wi-fi cards in them. Just read the descriptions, make sure you see the wireless network listed in the laptops specifications.

Look at the link above I posted, notice is says "802.11bg wireless"... that's an awesome wifi card.
    Software Expert

May 21, 2008, 11:17 AM
    Let me know what you end up getting!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Laptop to TV [ 3 Answers ]

I can't figure it otut my brother can do it but I can't the highest my reso will o 1280by800 And is 800 by 600 its something reso I can't it out please hel I got everything in place and ready just can't figure it out

Laptop getting very hot [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a IBM X22 laptop. I have Win Xp Professional on it. It used to work fine until a few days ago but now it gets very very hot when I use it for 20-30 min When I check the Task Manager, the processor usage is normal. Do you think it has something to do with the software? Does...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

My laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is Cliff Wise Last nignt my labtop Computer turned off so I went to turn it on it was loading then a blue screen came up it said Program has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen ...

View more questions Search