Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatoune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Delinquent on child support & been to court
    I filed a warrant against my ex-husband because he has not paid child support since Nov
    '07 and they arrested him during our hearing with a $1,000 bail which of course he got out the same day. I was under the impression that he would be locked up until he caught up with the child support. I just received a court date for the end of June & if he is found guilty, then there will be another hearing to decide sentencing. He admitted to not paying and that is why they arrested him. My confusin in all this is, I'm still not receiving child support, so I don't understand the purpose of locking him up to begin with and why do we need 2 court dates t find him guilty if pleated guilty to the charge. Who can I go to NOW to make PAY NOW!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Various states have different rules, In yours, it is to allow him time to get your paid, if he is not paying by court date most likely he will get a few months in jail ( in which you are still not paid) and given a time frame to start paying when released.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Um how do you expect him to pay if he's in jail?

As Chuck noted the rules vary from state to state. Do you have an attorney? If so what does he say about it? If not, have you spoken to your local family services dept? Many of them have an agency that deals with getting support from dead beat dads. Normally they will garnish his salary.

But what you have encountered with the courts is not unusual. You filed a charge against him, that was enough to get him arrested. But a charge is not proof. There has to be a court hearing to determine the truth of the charge. In many areas, the sentencing hearing occurs after the court trial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support/contempt of court [ 19 Answers ]

My 3 year old son's non-custodial father has not paid child support in over 6 months. It might have been longer than that but I wouldn't know as I was on welfare and had signed my son's support over to the state (I wasn't a slacker; I was working and finishing up my BA). I was able to get off...

Suspened drivers license for non-pymt of court ordered child-support. [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know if and how I can go about getting my license back now that my son has turned 18 years old and is no longer considered a ward of the state. Who do I contact, or what procedures do I need to take? :confused:

Child Support Court [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my child's father have a child support court date for Feb. 12th Currently he is only making $9.00 per hour (we are in the state of NC by the way) But here in a couple of weeks he will be going back to work doing block work making $17.00 an hour. Im sure he is not going to be going back...

Do you have to be summond to court for child support. Or custody ? [ 5 Answers ]

In the past two months I have lost custody of my son and now they want support payments. ALL WITHOUT ME KNOWING. I have not received anything in the mail and no summons for this. My ex told me court is next week. I don't know what to do. I am willing to pay the support but I am mad they did...

View more questions Search