Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Door hinge rotten wood area
    My door hinge that attached to the jamb will take a screw, because the wood has
    Rotted in the jamb. I know I could relocate the hinge to another part of the door.
    I would have to mortise. Another option is to fill in the decaying wood with wood
    Dough so the screw would have a better surface.

Any tips??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Any short cut here will not give you much more serviceable time on a shot door frame. If part of the frame is too rotten to hold a screw I'd recommend pulling the whole thing and start new. If you just need a temporary fix try a much longer screw like 3 1/2"
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 02:55 PM
    There is another fix. A 1/4 or 1/2" wood screw extractor is rally a hole saw. You drill where the rotten area is an glue in a dowel. Worked for me when a screw in a hinge broke off.

There is an epoxy for just that application, Repairing decaying wood.

I can't give any better advice without knowing the extent of the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Door for furnace area [ 2 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and I want to know What kind of door do I need for around the furnace? I know I need fireproof sheetrock which I bought, but I don't know what kind of door do I need. I was told a wood door it's OK as long as it has ventilation(bifold door), Is this right? I'm confuse...

Removing a self closing door hinge [ 2 Answers ]

I want to temporarily remove a self-closing door hinge (to install a dog door). Is there an easy way to do this without removing one half of the hinge from the door or jam (like removing the pins on standard hinges)? There are a couple of allen screws in the unit (one on top, one on the bottom of...

Fiberglass vs. Wood Front Door [ 3 Answers ]

Any thoughts on replacing my front door with a Fiberglass Door vs a real wood door. The fiberglass door I'm looking at is http://www.masonite.com/PRODUCT_GUIDE/pdfs/BarSierraCraftsman.pdf . I would think for the long run the fiberglass door is the better value and more durable than wood. Anyone...

Replacing rotten wood floor foundation [ 16 Answers ]

We have an old cabin which we need to repair. Under existing bylaws we would not be able to replace this cabin in its existing waterfront location so repair is the only option. Originally the cabin sat 1 foot above ground on cement pads. Over the years the cabin sunk into the ground which has...

View more questions Search