Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Apr 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Rolled tar roof leaks on porch, any solutions?
    We have a built-on porch (to the detached garage) put on in the 60's by the previous owner. The roof is tar, flat, and now it is leaking badly. A handyman put some tar stuff on it once or twice and that helped, but only momentarily. Do we have no option but to bring this porch down? Can a flat rolled roof like that even be fixed? The water is coming in on some studs in the back of the porch, where is becomes a lilttle work room. I don't like the idea of wet lumber. Any suggestions are welcome. Helen.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Apr 15, 2008, 10:56 AM
    You could hire a roofer to re-do the hot applied roof membrane

Apr 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
    But would this solve the leaking problem? A contractor told us that any attempt at reparing the roof would mean leaks sooner or later would happen?? What is hot applied roof membrane??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Most roofs are flat, do you mean it also has zero pitch?

Apr 15, 2008, 07:06 PM
    That must be what you mean. The roof is flat as a pancake.
    art in mich Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
    "Tar Stuff" doesn't seem like a good solution for a leaky roof, esp. a "flat" one. The way you describe it makes it sound like a potential flashing problem (leaking on studs in back of porch). I have seen many instances where the roof is functioning properly, but the "tar caulk" on the flashing around chimneys, vent pipes, or where it meets other parts of the house has degraded, cracked and peeled away. Probably the best way to permanently address this problem would be to reframe it with a reasonable pitch and start over (if architecturally possible)--or torch a new rolled roof onto it, paying close attention to the flashing (or where it meets any surface that is a different height) and the seams. You can theoretically patch it--if you know specifically where the leaky area is. Bottom line is, I'm not a big fan of rolled roofing. Another idea I've toyed around with is a one piece membrane (like a pond liner material) that is without seams--properly flashed, perhaps with an elastomeric UV blocking "tar stuff" on top of it. If it's a relatively small area then you have options. I say this because the last one I was trying figure out a cost effective solution for was 8000 sq ft-and built in 1865-in a tough climate.

Apr 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Were we to have a roofer repair this mess, what kind of money are we talking about?
    Thanks for your answer, by the way.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Helen, prices of materioals and labor vary greatly fromone place to another. Your best bet is to call 3 roofers to get free estimates. Then you will have you costs and also hear how they propose to repiar your roof. With all that info you can then better decide if you can do it yourself or hire the pro. If you hire a pro make sure they are licensed and insured in your area and will handle any permits that might be required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with roof leaks! [ 11 Answers ]

I have water coming through by my chimney and at least one other vent; I've read that and on inspecting from above and below that the problem is lack of or repair needed of the flashing around these areas. However, I am a novice to do it yourself repair, even though am capable of doing certain...

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

Lots of leaks in Roof -> what's the best solution [ 12 Answers ]

I bought this house last year May(2006). Last hurricane season passed without anyproblems and leaks anywhere in the house. But this season I have a lot of leak spots all around the house. The leaks started during the windy rains about 2 months back and I noticed all the spots are small and I didn't...

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Rolled teflon tape for leaky shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

I was trying to replace a leaky shut off valve. I couldn't get compression ring off copper pipe w pliers so I put new valve on old ferrule & valve leaked more. Home Depot guy said his plumber father has tried placing a thin rope of teflon tape around both bevels of compression ring & put new...

View more questions Search