Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interstatemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 09:32 PM
    Vent stack relocation
    I live on the top floor of a three story condo. I am renovating my kitchen and have run into a problem. I want to remove a wall in my kitchen that the sink is on. There is a 3" vent stack going straight up the middle of the wall I want to remove. Is it ok to re-route the vent stack by adding four 90 degree turns and if so can I use a 2" vent?

Thanks,
    Mike
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 8, 2006, 10:57 PM
    As far as I know, you should have no problems rerouting the vent using four ells.

However, choking down to 2" is NOT a good idea. Even though kitchen sinks can be vented using 2" pipes, there is another factor to consider: most (if not all) codes require at least one 3" stack in the house, and very often plumbers will make that the kitchen stack (especially since food disposers became popular). So unless you're absolutely sure that your plumber was not counting on the kitchen vent being [part of] your 3" stack, you shouldn't choke it down to 2".

Cheers,
    Moishe
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi Mike,

Moishe is bang on with his answer. Plumbing codes call for one 3 or 4" vent in a new house. We used to install this vent in a bathroom but when garbage disposals became popular we were forced to increase the size4 of kitcken drain lines from 2 to 3". So we just extended them out the roof for the main vent. While choking the vent down to 2" would work as a vent it would be against code to do so. You may have as many bends as you wish in a vent providing that they are upstream from the drainage section, just remember to invert any tees or wyes and slope back to the drain. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent Stack Leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Our house, built in 1988, has a leak in its vent stack where one vent line tees into the vertical "main" vent before the main vent goes through the roof. The leaking tee is about 6 to 8 feet below the roof. Normally there is no problem with the vent stack (no smells, etc.), but when we get a...

Possible Blockage Main Stack Vent [ 1 Answers ]

The two toilets and the tub in the upstairs bathrooms are plugged and will not drain or flush. There is a gurgling sound when we flush or try to plunge the toilets. I have been told by a plumber that he thinks the main stack vent is blocked. How can I unstopped or clear the main stack vent? Are...

Another Vent Stack Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a vent that runs from my middle floor bath to the roof. From the bathroom it runs down into the basement level garage and into the slab with a cleanout before entering the slab floor. The only items that drain into the line are a toilet and sink. The shower has its own drain and vent. ...

How do I tie into main vent stack? [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any tricks to put a 3" Tee into the main vent stack to add a lavatory? I don't think I can lift the top part of the stack up or push the bottom part of the stack down once I cut it in half but I think I'll need to seperate it by something like 2" and then push it back together to have...

Bathtub Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

First let me say this plumbing forum is very informative! Now also let me say that I am not well versed in plumbing lingo so hopefully I will be able to ask my question correctly. We plan to remodel our master bath. Currently our bathroom has a separate room for the lavatory, toilet, and...

View more questions Search