Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shillong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Is the "First Year Choice" applicalbe for children?
    Experts,

My case is I came to USA last August. My wife and kid came on Dec 2007. I can file tax as resident alien with "first year choice". But I can't add my kid as dependent because she is not resident alien. Can I add my kid or not?

BTW, is the stimulus plan applicable for non-resident alien? I have to file my tax after April 17 due to extension with 4868 form (to qualify the first year choice rule). Can I get the stimulus bonus then?

Thanks a lot... with
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 02:27 AM
    If you have a work visa, you can file resident tax return as First Year choice. You will also claim exemption for your child. Attach W7 for your wife and kid with yout tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Girlfriend of a year and a half.she wants a "break". [ 129 Answers ]

All right people. I'm feeling really down so I thought I'd come here to tell you my story and maybe get a bit of advice.. I've been going out with my girlfriend for a year and a half.. she's 15 and I'm 16. Our relationship had everything, we went to each other's house nearly every day, we went...

Am I the right "Type" to homeschool my children? [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently a stay at home mother with a 3 year-old daughter and a daughter who is in first grade in the public school system. I really want to try and homeschool, except for one thing, and that one thing is my concern that I would NEVER get a break from my kids. The funny thing is, is that I...

Are our children "really" safe, heck, is anyone? [ 16 Answers ]

All these school and collage shootings (among other places), all the irresponsible sale of weapons and firearms. Plus, the lack of metal detectors and law enforcement within these places... Child abductions, I cannot let my children play outside for one second alone in the front yard because...

View more questions Search