Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nebster01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Lost desktop
    I know this has happened to others but I have seen no definitive method of resolution. I have lost my desktop: all icons, the startbutton, the taskbar, the date, and all icons of running programs at the left. I have installed a new windows 2000 that works, but would need to reinstall all my drivers and programs to match what is on it already. I am not a beginner. I can go through the task manager to get to my programs and there is even a directory called desktop with all the icons in it. All attempts to drop a shortcut or rightclick on what should be the desktop are null.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 2, 2006, 12:22 PM
    This says to me Corrupt profile.
    If you are lucky its very easy to resolve, if not it's a pain.
    If the account that you are using ISN'T the main administrator account then its simple.
    Just log in on the main admin account, control panel > user manager and delete the one that is causing problems.
    Reboot and recreate the account.

If it IS the main admin account then you are in a whole world of hurt.
    You'll need to boot to the install CD and do a repair of the OS.

Hope this helps
    nebster01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
    I have learned a lesson: Never run anything through the administrator account. Too bad I learned it too late.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop display... [ 2 Answers ]

Can I post an image display on my desktop, let say 3 to 4 gif and a backgroud... I don't want to use web because I think its not safe, beside its won't open when I'm not connected to internet... :)

Desktop [ 8 Answers ]

While trying to place a shortcut icon for eBay on my desktop, I selected the option to paste to desktop. Now I have a portion of the eBay home page on the desktop and I don't know how to remove it. Need advice please. Thanks.

Lost desktop [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was doing some cleanup on my PC, and accidentially either lost or deleted my desktop icon, would some one please give me some idea as how to recover this item. Your help would be gratefully appreciated, thxs a lot. :confused:

Desktop [ 4 Answers ]

Hi folks Could any one tell me how to stop My documents automatically opening when I start up my computer. :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search