Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrs geeze Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Will a hot tubs water be hotter with 220 than 110?
    We purchased a used hot tub with out a manuel. It is 110 now, the water is 75 degrees. We do not want to spend money on wireing 220 if it will not get any hotter. It seems to me that the water heater is a water heater, and that no matter what type of hook up we have it will only get as hot as it is.. now maybe we need to get a new heater, we don't know.. any and all help is gratefull... thank you
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Do you have any info on the hot tub -- it would help us find an answer

Brand --- Model --- Numbers on heating element

I am also concerned about wiring -- if you didn't have a manual to follow

Electrical safety around water is not to be taken lightly
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 9, 2008, 08:21 AM
    You do not specify what voltage the tub heater is constructed for.
    Is it made for 110V or 220V?
    Is it single, double, or triple phase?
    If you connect 220V to a 110V heater it will burn out in seconds.
    So check the specifications first (it must be stated on the tub somewhere!)

Mar 9, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    You do not specify what voltage the tub heater is constructed for.
    Is it made for 110V or 220V?
    Is it single, double, or triple phase?
    If you connect 220V to a 110V heater it will burn out in seconds.
    So check the specifications first (it must be stated on the tub somewhere!)

It is set for both, we have to switch wires on the box under the tub... we only want to know if it will get hotter?

Mar 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    Do you have any info on the hot tub -- it would help us find an answer

Brand --- Model --- Numbers on heating element

I am also concerned about wiring -- if you didn't have a manual to follow

Electrical safety around water is not to be taken lightly
    The tub is jacuzzi model z145/345 h240000, the control knobs read balboa... I don't know where to look to find info on the heater

There is a wiring diagram on the electric panel, this is not an issue, we have that part under control... we just don't want to convert this over to 220 if the water will not get hotter...
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Mar 12, 2008, 10:00 PM
    No, it won't get hotter (assuming it will reach the max temp the thermostat will allow, based on the insulating ability of the spa). The only real difference is the time it take to increase in temperature. Typically, a 120v heater will raise the temp 1 to 2 degrees per hour, and a 240v heater will raise 4 to 6 per hour. The thermostat (and other safety switches) determine how hot it will get, and they don't change with the voltage change.
    Davidbhughes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs geeze
    we purchased a used hot tub with out a manuel. it is 110 now, the water is 75 degrees. we do not want to spend money on wireing 220 if it will not get any hotter. it seems to me that the water heater is a water heater, and that no matter what type of hook up we have it will only get as hot as it is..now maybe we need to get a new heater, we don't know..any and all help is gratefull...thank you
    I have an identical hot tub. It would heat OK at 110 but in use the water rapidly cooled because the heater cuts off when the high speed pump is on. I converted it to 220 for that reason. It will not get hotter just because you convert it.

The heat temperature controls are a bit tricky (on mine anyway) You have to hold the switch down until it stops flashing then press it to increase at one or two degree increments. However, mine will default to 100 degrees if you kill the power for a few seconds. I suggest you read the manual then call a repairman if it doesn't work correctly. You possibly have a bad temp sensor.

Dave

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

No hot water in tubs [ 2 Answers ]

I can get hot water in 1st floor bathroom and kitchen sinks but 1st and 2nd floor showers no hot water nor 2nd floor sink please help

110 v outlet off a 220 while maintaining 220v for a water pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10-2 with ground 220 line to a water pump with no access to a 110 circuit. I need to install a 110 circuit to run a lights in the pumphouse. Can I do this by using a 1 hot lead and the ground wire as neutral to get the 110 power and then pound a ground stake in and connect the 110 ground...

220 v hot water heater elements problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a standard run of the mill 40 gallon 220v 2-element electric hot water heater that is now giving me all kinds of problems. It is only 8 yrs old and has worked great. There are only 2 people in this householld to use this water heater. In the past 14 months, I have developed dark water...

Wiring hot water heater to 110 [ 4 Answers ]

How do I wire a hot water heater that is set up for 240 to 110? I don't want to have to put in a 220 plug I just want to run it off the 110 source already there. Any help would be great.

View more questions Search