Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLG Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Sewer Gas Odor Problem
    Ranch home with large 2 sink, shower, and toilet master bathroom. Only when it gets cold out, I have problem with backup of septic gas. I live in FL.
    Toilet is vented to roof. Roof vent is clear. Is it too short? Do I have a sewer line break? Bad seal on toilet? Ordor seems to come from sink and shower area? Odor only bad when its colder out. Help. KLG:(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Most bad smells from showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a gallon of bleach and pour half down each drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out esch drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out.
    Also, pull the lavatory stopper and look down the drain. About 4 inches down you'll se a small rod sticking out. Fish out any hair that's caught there. This should make your drains smell better. If the smell still persists after that then click on back and we'll discuss capping the vents with a backdraft cover. Regards, Tom

Jan 28, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Hi Speedball,

Thank you for your quick response. I have tried putting bleach down the drains but nothing really improved. This is a serious sewer gas odor that ONLY comes when its cold outside and warm inside. We in FL. Have just been hit with colder nights and the smell is horrible. Maybe a pressure difference with the colder temps makes the vent pipenot draw properly.

Could the problem be poor draw on the stack vent pipe and maybe I should make it longer? We have only one vent pipe on the roof which vents the toilet. I don't know if the sinks and shower are tied into that. Or, could the problem be a poor toilet wax seal and when the former owner added tile, the flange doesn't meet properly with new floor height? I'm driving myself a little crazy trying to figure this one out. But, the odor right now is terrible.

I don't want to even think of a broker line problem since it only happens in winter.

Thanks, Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Hi Ken, I live in Sarasota. So I'm extremely familiar with Florida plumbing. Sewer gas raises in warm weather and descends when it gets cold so you smell it more in cold weather. If it smells worse around the base I would check that the wax seal's doing it's job. Regards, Tom

Jan 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Hi Tom (Speedball 1)

I examined the vent pipe on the roof over the toilet in the master bedroom. It is only 5 inches high and quite narrow and is below the top area of the roofline next to it. Would a higher pipe draw better? Should I extend it?

The odor seems to come out more in the area of the two sinks than the separate area for the toilet. Sometimes it comes out near the toilet but most often, 6 feet away near the sinks. Do the sinks need a separate vent pipe to the roof. How do I know if they are tied into the toilet vent stack? Can I add another trap to the sinks?

I can't believe I'm spending a Saturday night writing about sewer gas?? Ha! Oh well... thanks again for your info. If you are so inclined, call me on my cell phone 239-877-3777. Do you make service calls to Marco island? Ha!

Thank you so much, Ken
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 29, 2006, 12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KLG
    Can I add another trap to the sinks?
    No you may not. It is illegal according to virtually all codes to double-trap a fixture.

I doubt Tom would make a "service call" - in case you haven't read his profile, he's retired. Like Tom said in this post, "My service calls consist of sitting on my duff and instructing you to do the dirty work" :D

If I may offer my humble opinion: if the smell is coming from the sinks, it sounds like the trap (or traps) is not doing its job. I can think of two possible reasons offhand for this: a) if your house is really old, you may have an S-trap instead of a P-trap or b) the sinks are not properly vented or the branch vent for the sinks is somehow clogged. In either of these two cases, since there is no air entering the drain line after the trap but before the first vertical drop, it's easy for a siphon to develop, which would suck all the water out of the trap, leaving an easy path for the sewer gas to enter the room. As for why you smell it during the winter, well like Tom said, cold weather makes the gas descend, making it more noticeable.

So for starters, check what kind of trap you have. If it's not an S-trap, try to find out how the sinks are vented.

Either way, keep us in the loop on this one.
    Moishe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas Problem [ 3 Answers ]

Joe M]Hi speedball1, I found you in a Google search I was doing this morning and you seem pretty knowledgeable about plumbing. Hoping you can help me with a question re. sewer gas. Ever since we put in a front load high efficiency washer, we smell sewer gas when using the machine. I'm...

Sewer Odor [ 4 Answers ]

I've had a sewer odor from all three toliets in my 2 year old house for about 1 1/2 yrs now. We are on public sewer and the builder is stumped (he hasn't however, been in the house to smell for himself) It seems to get worse when it rains... any suggestions? I'm concerned that my 5 year old son is...

Sewer odor in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's bathroom has a sewer odor or some kind of bad odor if not used for a few days. She was able to stop it by putting a towel over the bathtub drain when she left the house. I have put a flat rubber stopper over the drain but it isn't stopping it. Now, it appears after someone opens a...

Sewer Odor in Bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Last week I noticed our toilet had bubbles coming up it for a minute or so... I don't remember if the washing machine was running or not, it seemed strange, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. Now this week, there is a sewer smell in our bathroom, and I swear I can smell it in the room next...

Sewer odor AFTER plumbing work done [ 11 Answers ]

We replaced our sink in tha fall and had trouble with it backing up all the time. We called a plumber and he rerouted our sink to the pipe in the basement that the washing machine is connected to. The old pipe was then removed and capped off. Soon after this we began having a serew odor in...

View more questions Search