Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilmama19 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2008, 05:26 PM
    I'm pregnant but I don't want to get attached to the baby if.
    My baby's father and his mother are planning to take away my baby. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I love my baby that's growing in my belly I have the ultrasounds I go to every doctors appointment and everything. What can I do so they don't take away my first newborn child I love my baby even though its not here yet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 05:40 PM
    How old are you? Do you have a job, your own place to live, or do you live with and off your parents? What does the babies father have to say about all of this?

If you are independent and can make it on your own then they would have to prove that you are an unfit mother before they can take away your child.

If you don't have a job or your own place than I think your first priority is to get both. Show these people that you are going to be responsible for the life that you have created, if you can't do that then maybe you shouldn't keep this baby. Also, the father of the child should be paying to help support it once it is here.

Show them that you are old enough to be a mother, not just old enough to have a child.

Good Luck.
    lilmama19 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2008, 05:46 PM
    I am not working right now because my morning sickness is so bad I can't be on my feet I mean one of my family members I work for them at home but that's my only source of income my baby's father doesn't have a job, doesn't have his own place. I have to get foodstamps to help me out I'm on wic, I mean I can only do what I can do for right now but pregnancy either changes you for the better or it doesn't change you and I don't think anybody is ever ready to have a baby but I'm learning daily new things to bond with my baby and about motherhood
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Feb 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
    They can't take away your baby. That is totally illegal.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Bonding with your baby is great, it is an amazing time when you're pregnant, it's also a very emotional time. Maybe you should read my other post.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/teens/...ns-188635.html

Even though it's a little late for this advice, don't base your decision solely on how you feel about this child, think also about this child, it is an innocent little being that has the right to have the best life that you can provide for it. If you aren't able to do this than the most unselfish thing would be to find someone who can. Remember:

If you love something, let it go.
    If it comes back to you, it yours.
    If it doesn't, it never was.

You've got to figure out what to do all by yourself, I just hope you don't only think about you but also about the baby.

I wish you all the best. Take care.
    RissG Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
    I have to agree with altenweg. Do what is in the best interests of that little bundle in your belly. And with the not working from morning sickness... Ha! It's only going to get worse. Try working full time after being up all night with a colicky little one. Motherhood isn't all cute baby clothes and snugglyness (though those are the best parts). It also takes a lot of responsibility, time, and above all, sacrifice. If neither of you are willing to give up partying, smoking, drinking, or what have you, for the next 18 years, it is best if you and the baby's father discuss adoption. It's a harsh reality, but still a reality.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 10:01 PM
    First since you are not married, you do not have to even put his name on the birth certificate, for them to try and take the baby, after the baby is born, they will have to file for custody in court, most likely at best they cuould get joint custody ( you 1/2 and him 1/2). And you will file against him for possible child support.

You can't really file anything till the baby is born, ( and they can't either)
    You may want to talk to a legal aid person, who can help you in keeping your child. Also here are many women's groups, shelters and more that help new mothers get on their feet in many major cities, if you have a case worker ask them about some
    mirandycc Posts: 70, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2008, 09:16 AM
    My husband and I weren't married at the time of my child's birth, and I was told if I did not put his name on the birth certificate, and we sign an alfadavit, then he wouldn't have any parental rights to the child, so if you don't put his name on the birth certificate, he has no way of getting the child...
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
    You still did not tell us how old you or the father were, but that is beside the point right now. You are carrying a life inside that will eventually grow up and want - and well deserves to know his or her grandparents - and father too.

I hope you have the support of your family members, and you can get social groups involved too. But if you are not at total 'war' with the boy's parents - how about a meeting with all members involved and plan for the future of your child together. It might work - and that's your choice... they might agree to be just plain grandparents and want to see the baby now and then - which would help you and the baby emotionally for the better.

If they are against you and you feel threatened by them, then you have a right to say so and get the help you need legally and emotionally too.

You might feel that the world will be OK with just you and the baby, but that is truly wishful thinking, so do some serious planning and look toward the future of your baby for the best, dear.

Who knows, it all might be just stressfull now, but might work out eventually, so don't stress yourself out during your pregnancy - it's not good for you and not good for the baby either. The less stress, the better. Life sometimes does look messed up to all of us sometimes, but after some thinking and planning it can be changed for the better.. with a bit of communication. But nobody can just come up and take your baby away - so don't stay stuck on that fear and work on what happens next.

I wish you all the best, dear. Keep us posted.

Babies can be wonderful, but they are also tedious and are a big responsibility - make sure you get help in coping - maybe a single mother group that will help before and after the baby gets here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I'm pregnant! But I don't know if I am. [ 8 Answers ]

Im 15 and in so much love with my partner. We've been together for the longest time ever and we started having sex last summer, with protection, but in August I wanted to try it without. So we did. And I THINK that he comed inside, because he did come, but I don't really know if it was inside, but...

I don't know if I'm pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

I was suppose to get my period the 28th of August and I didn't. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex and he came in me twice but I wasn't ovulating. Is there a chance that I can be pregnant?:)

I'm pregnant and I don't want it. What do I do? [ 33 Answers ]

I've already decided I want to terminate this pregnancy. I can't raise a child or birth a child. I can't remain pregnant. I know that sounds awful, and that's really not the type of person I am but I seriously CANT. What should I do? I have some birth control, but I don't want to OD on it. Should I...

Don't know if I'm pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

:confused:ok I don't know if I'm pregnant. But when I first started thinking I was I had some weird symptoms like it hurt to eat and I felt like I was going to throw up but never did and I was dizzie and my head hurt for a long time then m breast hurt for a couple of dayz :eek: Now I feel weid...

I don't know if I am pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

Well my boyfriend and I have sex a lot and I missed my period but it came back I haven't been feeling good nauseaus and my breasts are sore I don't think I can take a test till my period is over my mom had her period when she was pregnant with me so I am not sure if it works the same with me or not...

View more questions Search