Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crashy772 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 10:23 AM
    How to sign over custodial right
    My ex has finally decided he wants to sign over custodial rights of my two boys to me. My husband of 3 years who has been supporting all of us would finally be bale to adopt them. Then only condition is that My ex would not want to pay childsupport or back child support. I live and Florida and can't seem to find any info on how to go about this or what forms to sign or were to go. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
    missijoy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Past owed child support cannot be part of a negotiation. It is owed to the state on behalf of your children, with their best interests in heart. I have been through some custody issues, and this is true in my state at least...
    You will need a lawyer.
    crashy772 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
    OK ty very much
    missijoy Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
    After he signs away his rights, he won't be responsible for any support, that should bring him some joy, sounds like a real winner, worried about his money and not his blood. Crazy.

Your doing the right thing in my eyes for your children.

I forgot to mention that when your husband adopts them...
    If you should ever separate or divorce HE will be responsible
    To pay child support until they are 18.
    You should make him aware of this before he goes any further with it. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Missi is right to a certain extent, but it depends on your situation. If you had obtained public assistance at some point, then yes, back support would be owed to the state to reimburse them for the taxpayer money paid to you. But if you had never received public assistance, then you can forgive the back child support.

Once your husband adopts, the father no longer is responsible.

What you should be doing is getting a lawyer to prepare the adoption petition. The lawyer can then advise you wheter you can forgive the back support or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am so confused [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend left me almost a month ago, and I have been giving her space. Haven't called, text, or msged her in that month. Then one day she called me at first but I missed her call so I called her back and she said she called me by accident so I said oh OK, and then we hung up like nothing ever...

Sign on Bonus Taxrepay & deducting yearly bonus from my sign on [ 1 Answers ]

I got a $5,000 sign on bonus & left the company under 1 year. They held back my $3,033 yearly bonus to deduct it from what I owed them in sign on. BUT they took taxes out of the $3033 bonus before deducting it from what I need to pay back. So they are subtracting $1817 from $5,000, saying I...

Custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I have been divorced for 12 yrs and have a 17 yr old daughter. She has been in my custody for all her life. Her father has never properly supervised her on weekend visits and she has gotten herself involved with an acquaintance of his who is 35 yrs old. In addition due to a complete lack of...

Non-custodial rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about moving out of the state of New Jersey. I have joint legal custody. Can I legally move? If so, what reasons are legitimate or do I need a reason? Do I need permission from a court or the custodial parent as the non custodial parent. Second, will I loose my parental rights by...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search