Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joesam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 06:10 PM
    AC heat pump thermostat
    Hi, I have a ac/heat pump unit, that lately is acting like it is possessed. We will turn it on one time and everything will work just fine. But then after we turn it off for awhile when we turn it back on the unit outside will start up, but the blower inside won't work. If you then turn it off and turn the heat on it will be fine. When we try to turn just the fan on, nothing happens. It has also done this sometimes when we turn the heat on, it won't work then we will switch to the air and its fine. It seems to know when it's the hottest day no air, or the coldest day no heat. I just had the unit looked at 4 months ago and then everything was OK, except that the tech said my thermostat was out dated and that I should switch to a digital one. The unit is about 12 years old. If it is the thermostat how do I tell, can I fix it myself. Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 06:24 PM
    You may have a bad blower relay or bad thermostat. When your blower is not coming on you can remove the thermostat cover and jumper the terminales R and G with a small wire, if the blower doesn't come on its not the thermostat. It's a bad blower relay, blower time delay or control board depends on what you have.
    Eric D Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Without knowing the make a model unit you are talking about it is hard to guess what the problem might be, but with that said, yes, it could be the thermostat. Many units use the thermostat to control the air handler fan. If the thermostat relay that controls the fan is going bad it could keep the fan from getting the thermostat signal.

Eric D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat Pump Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Thermostat for my heat pump system in my home has died. I think that some heat pumps energize the reversing valve in heat mode and some energize the reversing valve in cooling mode. Question is : "When replacing a thermostat for a heat pump how can you tell which type of system you have and does it...

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

Heat pump thermostat trouble [ 4 Answers ]

When I place my thermostat in cool setting it runs for a couple of moments with cool air. Then the emergency heat light comes on and unit blows hot air. The thermostat remains in cool setting.

Heat Pump Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Heat Pump by Unitary Products, Model F2FP036N06B with a White-Rodgers thermostat, Type No. 1F89-11. The 5 amp fuse controlling the thermostat has blown three times in the last 24 hours. After replacing the fuse, everything seems to work normally for a few hours before it blows another...

View more questions Search