Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenirius Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Functions... problem solving
    A 0.5kg ball is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 25m/s. Its velocity, v(t) (in m/s), at time t(in seconds0, is given by v(t)=25-9.8t. Its kinetic evergy, K(v) (in Joules), is given by K(v)=0.5v^2. Express the balls kinetic energy as a function of time, K(t).

OKay I have no idea even where to start.
    Thanks.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 23, 2006, 04:51 PM
    This one is simple substitution.
    They've given you two formulas:

v(t) = 25 - 9.8t
    K(v) = 0.5v^2

Note that for the second formula, it is perfectly acceptable (and correct) to write:

K(t) = 0.5[v(t)]^2

Then, all you have to do is perform those operations:

K(t) = 0.5 * (25 - 9.8t)^2

Expand and simplify for your answer.

Jan 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Okay but to find the function would this be right...

f(x) = 0.5(25-9.8t)^2
    And how do I solve?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 24, 2006, 04:55 PM
    First, a quick lesson about functions. A function is defined in terms of variables. A variable is something that can change. When writing a function, it is the variable names that go inside the bracket. Observe:
    f(x) = x^2 + 2x + 5
    g(m) = 4m + 8
    You can also have multivariable functions:
    H(a,b,c) = 4a+bc

You have been given a function v(t) = 25-9.8t. This function describes how the velocity of the ball changes as the variable "t" (in this case, time) changes. You also have the function K(v) = 0.5mv^2 (I think you left the m out). This describes how the kinetic energy of the ball changes as the velocity of the ball changes. So far so good?

Well, the question is now asking you how the kinetic energy changes as time changes. What do you have to do? Combine the two functions. On the left hand side, you are going to have something indicating that the function describes how the kinetic energy changes as time changes. Let's call that K(t). What goes on the right hand side?

Well, start with 0.5mv^2. But, this has to be in terms of "t", not "v". Luckily, you have an equation for v in terms of t. v(t) = 25-9.8t. So,

K(t) = 0.5mv^2 = 0.5m[v(t)]^2 = 0.5m(25-9.8t)^2

Functions do not have to have the form "f(x) = something". "K(t) = something" is also a function. "G(duck) = something" is a function. "Hair(lemon, warp) = something" is a function. Does that clear things up?

Jan 24, 2006, 06:21 PM
    It kind of clears things up but in my book it states that when transforming and merging two formulas into a function that I'm supposed to replace x with either f(x) or g(x). I know what a function means, I'm following the rules that I'm being given and I'm wondering if writing it like that is a function of time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving [ 6 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers. I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem. Second...

Solving Functions [ 5 Answers ]

Knowing f(x)=x^2+x and g(x)=2x+1 how would you solve f(g(x)) and (g (circle) f)(4)?? How do you determine the f^(-1) of f(x)=3x-2? Is x+2/3 correct? Thanks

Algebraic Equations Max and Min Problem Solving [ 17 Answers ]

Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fencing is needed. She plans to divide the enclosure into two parts to separate her sheep from her coats, two perfect squars with right angles, river at upper portion of diagram. What...

Solving for m and b [ 5 Answers ]

How would you break down these equations to solve for m and b? 9=-3m+b 4=-m+b Thank you.

Inequalities problem solving [ 3 Answers ]

Brandon and Pat drove from Edmonton to Saskatoon a distance of 545km. Brandon drove the first part of the trip at an average speed of 100km/h, and Pat drove the remainder at an average speed of 90km/h. If the trip took Brandon and Pat 5.75h, determine the number of hours each drove. I'm so lost, I...

View more questions Search